Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats the best setup(rod,reel,tackle) for my fishing?
right now i have a medium IM6 graphite rod, 15 lb test, a zebco 33 spincaster, and i have pretty much no lures, just a rattle trap, a sinking rapala silver minnow, yellow tail grubs, and a few fake plastic minnows.

where i fish, the bass 90% of the time arent bigger then 8 inches. there were i think 3 bass that we caught that were close to a foot long. im not sure what kind of bass they are, they are a shiny silver color and their mouth is as wide as their bodies are.

also, this one guy was catching alot of bass, he was using some sorta floating minnow, but when he jerked his rod, the minnow would splash around the water going every direction. what kind of bait is this?
[signature]
Hey,

I've fished a few local ponds for what it sounds like you're describing as little largemouth (probably some fingerlings and young guys). One of your best bets will always (especially in shallow water and w/ little bass) be live bait (worms or half a crawler) on an average sized hook and bobber rig.
The "floating minnow" that you saw sounds like a traditional popper to me, and yes they'll work great on the larger of the bass you're after. My favorite popper is called a [#ff0000]Hula Popper[/#ff0000][#000000]. If you go down to a local bait shop that carries hard plastics they should be able to hook you up. Make sure to use a swivel (they just make things so much easier). Also, you might have luck trying out weedless, synthetic craws and/or smaller spinnerbaits. Remember...bass aren't afraid to hit lures that are bigger than their mouth but you don't want to have a lure that's too large either.[/#000000]
Good luck and let us know how everything turned out!
[cool]
[signature]
[reply]

Hey,

I've fished a few local ponds for what it sounds like you're describing as little largemouth (probably some fingerlings and young guys). One of your best bets will always (especially in shallow water and w/ little bass) be live bait (worms or half a crawler) on an average sized hook and bobber rig.
The "floating minnow" that you saw sounds like a traditional popper to me, and yes they'll work great on the larger of the bass you're after. My favorite popper is called a [#ff0000]Hula Popper[/#ff0000][#000000]. If you go down to a local bait shop that carries hard plastics they should be able to hook you up. Make sure to use a swivel (they just make things so much easier). Also, you might have luck trying out weedless, synthetic craws and/or smaller spinnerbaits. Remember...bass aren't afraid to hit lures that are bigger than their mouth but you don't want to have a lure that's too large either.[/#000000]
Good luck and let us know how everything turned out!
[cool]

[/reply]

alright thanks, and by hula popper do you mean the arbogast or however the guys last name is spelled? because i typed hula popper in the internet and found only these.
the thing about live bait is, i cant get nightcrawlers, the only place that sells them is like a two hour bike ride, i cant drive yet, haha.
im going to get 1 or 2 of those, 1 without the skirt and one with one, to see which works more.
i also want to try the Berkley Minnow Grubs, they sorta look like tadpoles.
ill let you know once i get the stuff!
[signature]
ok, they didnt have the hula popper, but they did have rapala ones, so i got one in a light blue/silver/orange belly color.
i also got black 2'' minnow grubs by berkley, these blue Storm minnows, and some small 1'' mister twister worms with tails.
im going to be using the popper the most, but ill try all my stuff today, and ill tell you how it goes.
[signature]
the popper worked pretty good i got 2 big bites but didnt catch anything.
but the black minnow grubs were good as hell, we got like 3 bites every cast, my friend caught 3 bass, and 3 rockbass, i caught 1 bass. they were all 7''-10''.
[signature]
Hello again,

Yes, by Hula Popper I mean't the hard plastic made by Arbogast. I have two of the perch colored hulas and one black one for night topwater fishing. I found that the skirt seems to do the trick because I simply catch more with my Hula than with my regular poppers. If you ever get the chance pick one of these puppies up (only about $5).
Anyways, I'm glad that you found some lures which got you off to a healthy start. Just curious...are they the STORM Kickin' Minnows (like these)?
[Image: storm_kick_minnow_small.jpg]
If not, you might be interested in this jointed model as well, seeing as you've had success at your spot with artificial minnows.
Good luck and have fun!

[cool]
[signature]