Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.270WSM Good multi-purpose caliber?
Hey All,

I have been hearing from a couple people that the .270WSM is a great caliber for both deer and elk (with the proper grain projectile of course).

I currently have two different rifles for these two animals and am considering selling both and buying the .270WSM.

Anyone have any first hand experience wtih this?
[signature]
Hi There,
I've killed lots of elk with my .270 (not wsm) until I bought my .338 five years ago. Although I have no experience with the wsm I'm quite certain it is plenty of gun. Shot placement is the most important factor. What other two guns do you currently hunt deer and elk with?
[signature]
D-mack,

I like Bearclaw have a .338 win Mag. I used to have a .270. I to shot some nice elk with it.

I have heard nothing but good about the WSM in that caliber. I think that you would be happy with it. Next question? Do you hand load or factory?

If you hand load, Be patient and be willing to work with some diffrent grain of bullet and diffrent powders and such. Slower burning vs faster burning. 130 grain bullet vs 140 grain could make a significant diffrence in your patterning.

When you break in this new toy, Shoot a round then clean, Shoot a round clean for 10 rounds. Help get those burrs out of the barrel from the factory that the machineing leaves. We do this with all of our sniper rifles for added accuracy.

If you use store bought factory, There is some good stuff and some Junk. Pm me for more info on that one. I am not going to openly bash one company over another in the open forum.

Hope this helps.

RILEY
[signature]
I currently kill elk with a .300 mag In the Remington 700 BDL package

and deer with a .270 (standard) in the Ruger M77 stainless package.

The .300 really tears up the deer (I tried it once, YUCK) and I like a little

more UMMMPH than the standard .270 delivers when shooting elk.

I'm thinking the .270WSM could be a happy middle ground.
[signature]
I'll PM you with some pertinent questions.
[signature]