Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Record Encounter
This past weekend we were camped at Holmes Crossing and were taking our afternoon break and were swimming by the boat launch. A few boat were coming & going and we were asking a few folks how they were doing and telling others the colors that were working for us.

A small 17' or 18' red Lund boat came in about 2 p.m. with a lone fisherman. The guy I was with said he had met this guy about 20 years ago and his name was Ray Johnson. My friend was asking him how he was doing and he said not all that great today - only kept one kokanee about 23".

I am thinking that this guy had a "unique" lure on all his poles. And then my bubby said have ya caught any nice fish lately? Ray says he just broke the state and world record on the kokanee two days before - 6.25 pounds and 27". I was saying to myself - Are you sure you broke the world record?

Well this guy pulls up and my friend follows him up and we start giving him the 20 questions and he gave use the scoop on most of the inquires we had. In fact, he gave us a "Hot Spots" gorge map that showed he knew what he was taking about.

He proceeded to show us that he currently holds 158 state and world records. He has the documentation to back it up!! He holds the musky record at Pineview - 53 pounds - 56".

So if someone had ask me what a multiple species world record looks like I would have probably said someone like bassrods or tubedude instead of Quin from Jaws......

Someday ya just never know how much that other fisherman really knows.... [unsure]
[signature]
I have never met Ray Johnson (at least if I did I didn't realize it) but I have fished with a few anglers who have encountered him on the water. The guy obviously knows how to catch the record fish (I have been reading his name for years next to many of the records in the Utah Proclamation).
[signature]
Hmmm Makes ya wonder...
[signature]
On our last trip to the Gorge we ran across a guy fishing for kokanee by himself in a red Lund, I wonder [Wink]. Ray must have a lot of time on his hands to be able to target one species at a time until he catches a new record. What a way to spend your extra time, I wonder if he needs a student[Smile].
[signature]
Can't say much about a single guy in a red lund,as I see so many fisherman out by themselves. If you ever run across a guy in a green and gold alumacraft,that is by himself,run the other way,that guy is nuts.[Wink]
[signature]
INFAMOUS RAY JOHNSON. OMAN. HEY GUYS IM NOT SURE HOW MUTCH YA KNOW ABOUT THIS GUY BUT HE IS BANNED ON THE WYOMING SIDE OF FG. FOR RAMMING HIS BOAT INTO A YOUNG COUPLE ON SWIM BEACH. HE THEN WENT AND REPORTED THE OTHER PEOPLE. WELL LITLE DID HE KNOW HE WAS BEING FILMED BY THE LADDY IN THE CABIN OF THE BOAT. THE JUDGE UP THER IS SICK OF HIM AND BANDED HIM FOR LIKE A FEW YRS ON THE WYO SIDE. HE HAS SHOT AT PEOPLE TROLLED HIS STEAL AROUND THEM TO CUT THEM OFF ALL KINDS OF STUFF. AND HIS RECORDS LOL. LOOK AT SOME OF THEM LINE CLASS RECORDS. WHAT A JOKE A 2 POUND CHUB ON 20 POUND TEST. ASK TARPON JIM OR ASHLEY THEY LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN AS RAY. HE IS KNOWN AS THE TOWN IDIOT. AND WHAT A EGO. MAYBEE HE IS GROWING UP IT WOULD BE ABOUT TIME ITS ONLY TAKEN HIM 60 PLUS YRS. AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IVE EVER HERD OF HIM BE NICE TO A SOMEONE WHILE FISHING.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I wasn't going to comment on this post, because I have lost track of Johnson the last few years, but I have to verify and second the above report.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]This guy is a piece of work, and a legend in his own mind. His records are all questionable. If you talk to residents of Manila or for that matter, anywhere else he has set up "fishing residence" you will get the full story.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Many years ago, he was covered by a national hunting and fishing magazine. His story was that he lived in a snow cave on FG in the winter, and did all these great things.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]To say that he was the laughing stock of Manila would be a understatement.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
If you want to read a piece of work- Find the book he wrote.
You would think is was by a third grader.
[signature]