Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOOK CLIFFS ARCHERY DEER.
Ok my best buddy's son drew a book's cliff archery deer tag and we are heading there fri like three blind mice to look it over we just really dont know were to start if eny of you have eny info it would be great and I would be willing to give up some FG laker info man going to be an awsome yr another reall good buddy drew a sheep tag for gorge area so we have been looking alittle for them but the big ram's are hard to find I glassed for about 8 hr a week ago and my eye's are still buggin and I only saw one ram with a3/4 curl just not the one yet have been told that the state record is in this area and that is what we are after juat have to wait till nov when thay get stupid like the muley's thank's ASH
[signature]
i used to hunt the bookcliffs all the time but i have not hunted it for a few years now. i did go up last year and just from main roads glassing around we counted over 25 bucks in one afternoon. if you are coming from ouray (88 i think it is) just follow that road south. you will hit dirt 5-10 miles south of ouray but it is a good road and can be traveled at a good pace. you will be on that dirt road for around 60 miles before you get out of the sagebrush and cedars. most of the deer will be on top this time of year but come mid to end of october they come off the top snow or not. once you are close to the top you will be able to tell. there will be aspens, brush, pines and water and you will be looking down into the canyons. i have a canyon or two that i liked to hunt but i dont know the name of them. your best bet would be to take the side roads that cut off on the top of the ridges and glass away.like i said you will be on top looking down into everything. every canyon you look into will hold deer. when we went up last year we had a 18 inch four point broadside to us 3 different times from the road and only 30 or so yards away. obviously if he is after a big buck it will take a little more effort but it can be done with a bow. with the weather the way it is this year you cant go wrong with sitting by water and a lot of the draws/canyons hold little springs that should be covered in deer tracks. i know this is fague info, if i can help you out any further just let me know. hopefully that gets you going in the right direction.
[signature]
I've hunted the Books for a long time, for Deer, Elk and Coyotes. I was up there last week looking for elk and I saw 2 bucks around 28-30'' (and lots of others) I got a few bucks on Vid, I'll post a couple shots from my camcorder. I could use some Gorge info, call me tomm. and lets talk.

Not the best pics, they are taken from video, but you get the idea.

[Image: Buck2.jpg]

[Image: Buck3.jpg]

[Image: buck5.jpg]

[Image: Bear1.jpg]
[signature]
What area did you draw? Like you, Me and a buddy spent last weekend scouting the little creek are for ELK. We did however see some monster bucks. One was close to 6 inches past his ears and just as tall. He was one of the biggest i've ever seen. Let me know what area you drew and if its the little creek area Ill send you GPS directions to this buck. I think that what ever area you drew in the Book Cliffs you will see good dear. I will be back down their this friday so Ill keep you posted.

PS. In a couple weeks we will be fishing the Gorge for lakers so any advice on them Ill take. here is a picture of the biggest one i've got their.
[signature]
Hey Muleskinner, sent ya a PM.
[signature]