Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod and line different wt.
[cool]I have a 11' 8wt rod, that I want to use to throw big flies. but my issue is that my budget will not allow me to purchase new line. I have two reels on has 7wt and the other has 9 wt line. Which should I use? Again; any and all pointers/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.
[signature]
You should be able to effectively use either of them. When throwing the bigger flies, you will notice a slightly better feel on the heavier set up.

How big of flies are you talking about???[cool]
[signature]
Salt water size, using for pike etc.

Thanks for the feedback!
[signature]
Either will work. The 7wt will make the rod feel a little faster and the 9wt will make the rod feel a little slower.
The 7wt will be nice for windy days (smaller diameter and cut the wind better) and the 9wt. will load up a little easier.

A lot of people buy Fast rods and then over line it to slow it down.
[signature]
[cool]Thank you flygoddess; I will doing so dry-land practice before I hit the water.

[cool]wishin I were fishin.
[signature]
Ive always heard that you can go up a weight but not down a weight.
[signature]
Warchild, it all depends on the action of the rod. I know a few people that will underline to speed a soft action rod up and overline to slow a fast action down.
Never really understood why they didn't just buy a rod that fit their style and a matching line.
I have done both, but only cause I might be using a particular rod and don't want to switch rod so, just add the line. Like, when I am fishing the rivers I like to use my 4wt, but I only have 5wt, 6wt 7wt and 8wt sinking line, so, I put a 5wt on my 4wt rod. I will eventually get a 4wt. Type II I think.
[signature]
I see were your coming from..

IMO most people line up on there fast action rods so they can cast it better.. and the get less casting knots aka wind knots...[Wink]

Ive never thrown a lighter line on my rod ive weighted up because I grabbed the wrong reel and rod and ended up throwing my 6 weight sink on my 5 wt mod rod made for some nice shorter cast with me stripping off line from my reel while I was on my toon...
[signature]
Weighted lines is a different story. I have over lined a lot on my Type II and up, but sinking line is a very small diameter. In fact the faster sinking, the thinner, where floating is thicker to make them float better. By going up a size in floating, the line gets thicker, thus making it harder to mend and more wind resistance. On a floating, I always recommend the weight of the rod, but at times, underlining makes sense.
[signature]
Cool ill remember that..

Now I know its a myth. Cya flygoddess...
[signature]