Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best day yet on the Pine - 8/01/07
Well it ain't Sunday but I kind of felt I died and went to heaven. [Smile] Got there about 9:30 ish and had to quit about 1:30 ish, which was the bad part. Why you ask, because I just landed a 17 in guy that swallowed the hook and I injured it getting the hook out. [unsure] Didn't want to risk another. Yeah, I know, cut the hook. It just didn't look good so I brought her home. You're only allowed to keep 1 over 12. Anyway, in that short time I hooked and landed 2 - 17's, 2 -16's, 3 - 15's. 1 - 13, 1- 12, and 9 dinks. WOW [shocked] I do believe that was the best day ever!!!! Don't have any idea why, went back to an area that I had some success at before but, ------------------, I don't know? I guess I'm getting back in the Saddle again at the Pine. Low water, no structure to speak of, big waves from boaters and scooters, mid day, the Sparkinator trying to help me land em and me trying to keep the line out of his legs. What the HEY? Still using my reapers. I have solved my missed strikes and un buttoning though which is a good deal of my success. Am using some extra sharp, wire thin stuff but kind of pricy. Well, if I use one hook a trip or more, who can complain. Thanks TD for the help. Bought the pricy one though since I couldn't find yours at sportsmans.
As I said, the bad part was the injured smallie that made me end my run and I had the come home. That's the Pic. I've included. I really need someone out there with a camera to take action pics. Don't want to take my camera and drop it in the water again.[mad] I am starting to wonder why I should even consider going to the Nelle or up to ID on the Snake when I can do this? The Snake is moving water though and a lot of fun!!!!

P.S. I forgot = who the heck said smallies don't jump as much as LM? Every one of the big guys I hooked into today jumped like rainbows and more than the LM I've caught this year!!!! And they fight sooooooo, goooooood!!!!!

[inline "Pine 3 8-1-07.jpg"]

Leaky
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, why would you ever want to go anywhere else when you can make the short drive to Pineview, take the furry kid and catch lots of fish...in spite of all the "help" from the power squadron?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad the different hook styles helped make a difference on your hookup ratios. I am guessing that you are also able to stick them better with a lighter hookset. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is too bad that you had to remove the big mama from the gene pool, but that is part of fishing. There is going to be some mortality, no matter what we use and how we fish. The important thing is to concentrate on doing the best you can to send them back in good shape, when you can, and don't feel too badly if one of them commits suicide. I'll bet you held proper stoveside services to give that poor fish a good sendoff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I were you I would not be overly unhappy about not getting up to the Snake. With gas prices being what they are, and the tough drive involved, you can easily justify staying closer to home. Now if you could teach Sparky to do the driving...and picture taking...your life would be so much easier. Right?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Power Squadron help, I donna know about that? I have to admitt though, you've helped a "little". Now don't go gettun a bigger head than ya already have. [sly] Ok! You've helped a lot, ok????? Thanks Bud.!!!! [Wink]
Did ya happen to see the addition on "jumping" I just added? Any comments?
Leaky
[cool][#0000ff]"HELP' from the power squadron was a joke. They really "HELP" when they keep the water bumpy and muddy around the edges.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of smallies jump. Some don't. And sometimes it seems like they all either do or don't, depending upon water temps or other factors. Same with largemouths and rainbows. Same with browns. In many places they stay down and dog it. In other waters they go airborne. Just enjoy it when it happens.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Leaky! Glad you were able to get into some nice fish, despite the power squadron.

What part of the lake were you fishing?? [cool]
[signature]
I'm sending you a pm.[Wink]
Leaky
Ok, I'm going to fess up. When you said "Power Squadron" I was thinking forum folks, don't know why, dumb.[Sad] I was actually trying to give ya a "back handed" compliment, even though you don't need it.[Wink] By the way, most times I know when you're kidding and when I don't, well ----------------, it don't matter.[Smile]
Leaky