Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber River Trip Report (pics to follow)
Well, it has come and gone. After two months of planning, my guest from Sweden made it. I was agonizing where to take him fishing. The Logan would be full of little fish, the Weber would have bigger fish, but more whites. After watching the DWR fish survey report I decided to hit the "web". When I went to the hotel to pick up Hans, the airline had lost his rod so he wasn't going to go. I told him I brought my spare and to come on. He sprung to life and was dressed in a flash. All the way up the Weber he was amazed at the mountains and Devil's slide. We got on the river about 9:20 and within 10 minutes my cousin has hooked up. The brown jumped a few times for show and 10 minutes later a nice 19 inch very fat brown pushing 2 lbs was in the net. He set the bar high. When my cousin was helping Hans set up a strike indicator it was my turn. My rod bend deep and 20 minutes later a very fat 22 inch brown was in hand. He was 3 1/2 - 4 lbs (hard to tell the scale kept bouncing). My biggest fish from that river. Lots of pictures were taken and it was send back in. Now the pressure was on us to get Hans a fish. First cast, he tangles the line. Second cast, first drift through the hole I watch as the indicator dips and I yell "Now" to set. The pole doubles over and starts pumping. Whew at least he wasn't skunked. My other pole is a three wt, so even a small white fish would see large. But after 20 minutes and this fish is still bulldogging the bottom, I realize this is a bigger fish. About 30 minutes in to the battle I finally see a giant square tail. "Holy $#@&" it is a large brown. After 45 - 60 minute battle, I get the fish in my net. A very health giant 26 inch 8 pound brown is sitting in my net. The best part for me was this was a fly I tied. Lots of pictures, clapping, shouting, hand-shaking, the fish is revived and swims back down to the bottom of the hole. Not only did he get his fish, he got the largest fish I have ever seen on the river. My cousins brown had the hole punch on the tail, so it was tagged on the survey. I ended up picking up another fat 15 inch brown before the river shut off. Wow, what an exciting time. The rest of the day was spent sight seeing and we tried some on the Blacksmith's Fork but could not hook up anything (any help on this river would be appreciated send me a PM). What was interesting was that not one whitefish was caught, just huge browns. I am not complaining, mind you, but the whites are usually good for more bends in the rod. Hans took pictures on his digital so as soon as I get them, I'll follow up with the pictures.

katghoti.
[signature]
Right On! But that spot is gonna get swamped now, you know that![Wink]
[signature]
As promised here are the pictures. The first is my cousin's 18 inch brown, the next is my 22 incher (I am the fat one with my hat on backwards), next is the pig. Han's 26 inch brown (don't worry he did not touch the gills, I wouldn't let him), last is the same 26 incher just before release. Not shown was my puny 15 incher. Enjoy, I sure did.

katghoti
[signature]
...wow .. great pics... t.y

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Very nice Browns! Like I said, watch everyone shoot up there now[laugh]
[signature]
Nice Browns. Thanks for sharing with us.[cool]
[signature]
Awesome report and great pics. I know that spot, it is right down from the mouth of weber canyon huh.[Wink][sly]
[signature]
Yep, right at the mouth of the weber canyon before highway 89 [Wink]
[signature]
I knew it. You thought you were being sneaky.[Wink]
[signature]
[#005000][cool]Darn some people have all the fun. Nice looking Brns.[/#005000]
[#005000]Too bad that no one was wearing a BFT logo. Might have missed out on some big bucks.[Wink][/#005000]
[signature]