Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big perch party
Finally I have found the bigger perch in Lake X! Its taken me longer then it should, but who's keeping track? I went up there Sunday afternoon for a few hours and with all of TD's wisdom that I've picked up. I found some. (Amazing results come from fishing with you Tube Dude)

Went back up there again this morning with a friend from work. Who I also converted to this great site. We were on the water by 6:30 and I had my first perch by 6:40. Didn't find a keeper until around 7:00. Caught probably around 20 perch on Sunday with five bigguns, and around 30-40 today with over ten being ten plus inches. Hooked a couple smallies the size of the perch. Then caught a 17" smallie that gave me a nice Smile. It was probably the same fish I caught Sunday that I all but landed until my knot came untied and made for an early release. She came out of the same hole.

It was my co-workers first time in a tube and it suited him great. Gave him the ability to catch more fish then from shore.

All in all it was a great way to spend the morning.

I don't eat fish much, but tried some of TD's perch a few weeks ago. So I brought a couple home and tried to fillet them out. Does anyone have a good way to cook some perch fillets?
[signature]
Nice job and great pictures! JEALOUS!

I have a question for you and the others here.....WHAT'S WRONG WITH TROUT! [laugh]

[signature]
Looks like a beautiful day on the pond.
[signature]
..I love trout...just cant catch em...yet...lol.. but...

had a weird thought.. but arent perch the species of fish most often used for fish fillets and fish sticks found in the store... if so .. wouldnt a simple bit of flour.. seasoned with some salt and pepper... mixed with milk to make a batter.. then dip and fry the fillets.. Id use some tartar sauce.. or maybe lemon with a good salsa on top.. but that is just me.. lol...

MacFly
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you found some keepers. Those larger fish fight a lot harder than most people expect for perch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you don't want to fry the fish, try oven broiling. Lay the fillets on a foil covered cookie sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt and seasoned pepper. Sprinkle some sesame seeds if you have some. Dribble on some lemon juice and then dot generously with butter. I also shake on some powdered shrimp bouillion for a shrimp flavor. Either broil in the oven until flaky an d browning...about 5-8 minutes. Or bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that the perch only get better from now until about the end of September. Then they start to go deeper for the winter.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
macfly, that is exactly how I cook my TROUT LOL[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
.... that recipe sounds great.. good thing it is lunch time.. [Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nothing is wrong with trout...except when they are not biting. Slow time for them on both Lake X and Deer Creek.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, side by side, on the table perch is better. Mild white flesh that almost never has a fishy taste. Can't say that for trout...especially during warmer months. They can be soft fleshed and nasty tasting...expecially from weedy lakes. Perch are always good.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like you had another great day on the lake. Sorry to leave a note on the door for you this morning. Thought that would be nicer then calling you at 3:30am to let you know I couldn't make it. Stupid migraines! Glad your buddy could finally catch a fish. Does this mean he is now hooked on tubbing?
[signature]
This a great way to cook your perch, white bass, or walleye.

Put about 1" of water in a large frying pan with a lid. Add some salt, lemon juice, and a dash of tabasco. Bring to a low boil. Lay the fillets in the pan and poach till firm and flakey. REmove and drain. Put on hot platter and sprinkle with Lemon Pepper. Serve with steamed rice and Soy Sauce. Quick, easy, and TASTY. Also pretty low cal and low fat !!
[signature]
That's the other way I cook Trout! Now this is just getting SPOOKIE[Wink][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Learned that one from Ranger Pat at Yuba many years ago. Practically the only way the out of control 14yr old will eat fish.
[signature]
"[#0000ff][size 1]If you don't want to fry the fish, try oven broiling. Lay the fillets on a foil covered cookie sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt and seasoned pepper. Sprinkle some sesame seeds if ........"[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[black]That sounds like one of my fambly recipes. Are you related to.......oooops! Sorry TubeDad. I didn't recognize you with that new apron. hee hee.[/black]

Lot's of good recipes. Keep them coming.[cool]
[signature]
"[size 1].....WHAT'S WRONG WITH TROUT! [laugh] "[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Simple FG, they taste nasty and are way to easy to catch.[/size]

I guess that may not be true if you didn't live on them for 6 months after a motorcycle accident. Don't mind catching them kiddo but they all swim free afterwards.
[signature]
Too easy to catch? I would think Perch and Bluegill would be easier, but I guess it depends on the waters. There are the waters with the warm water species and there are waters with the cold.
You have your Willard, Mantua, Jordanelle, and Utah Lake, and then there is Scofield, Strawberry, and the Uinta's.
Just kidding you all, cause it is all good! I do enjoy catching those PAN sized gills and the Carp was a blast along with the cats.
But I also fish the rivers and that is trout, so those are the flies I have....oh well.[crazy]
[signature]
macfly, that is exactly how I cook my TROUT LOL[laugh][laugh][laugh]

You can't cook. thats why I do when your up here. Its not because I'm nice Its cause mojos drunk.
[signature]
Shhhhhhh, HEAY, I can too cook[mad], I just don't like to[angelic]
[signature]
[font "Trebuchet MS"][#005000][size 3]..now that is what a caring and hungry bro should do.. lol.. if no one else cooks it.. get up and do it yourself.. LOL>....[/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Trebuchet MS"][#005000][size 3][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Trebuchet MS"][#005000][size 3]MacFly[/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Fg I was just givin ya a bad time. To help clairify for ya. I have been an advid trout fisherman for years and years. I now only fish for them a few time a year and mostly at the Berry.
And yes young lady I fling flies at them in early spring and in the fall. I also have a few other methods I use. Nope no fly rod for me casting bubble and spinning reel at the Berry. I use it on the Provo. I am awful with it .... look like a real dork tryin to cast. Just ask FB2 he'll be sooooo happy to tell ya all bout it. LOL

Now the part about um tasting nasty ..... they do!!! Especially from the Berry except for the dead of winter. So I don't eat trout I parctice catch and release on all of them.

Perch are pretty easy to catch if you can find them. Big perch are just as difficult as any other big fish. They didn't get big by accident. You need to take the fly rod up to the nelle and have some fun with the perchies. I know you'd like it as much as the carp.

At any rate it's all good some is better and some is great. All depends on the day and the timing.
Have fun youmg lady and NEVER yake me too seriously. I never do. Good fishing kiddo
[signature]
No Problemo Road, I was just jerking a chain also (I won't say who's)[Wink]
I just remember going to the nelle after Trout and all I was catching was Perch, but I have said it before and I will say it again....who cares what is tugging at the other end, it's all good.[cool]
[signature]