Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphite rods
In a post on another board at BFT, Curtisfish reported having a graphite rod shatter when he set the hook in cold weather. Have any of you also experienced any problems with using graphite in cold weather? I have a graphite ice fishing rod and it has worked fine in weather in the zero range. I recently had a graphite rod custom made for me, and I would sure hate to have it shatter.
[signature]
Just to clarify a little. The pole that broke was a Cabala's Innercast baitcasting pole (IM6 high modulus if I remember). I had it spooled with 30# spiderwire. We were drift jigging on the Gorge at the opening of the canyon off Linwood Bay. In about 45-50 feet of water I felt what I thought was a fish and attempted to set the hook. The fish turned out to be the bottom. The pole splintered in my hands. I retrieved all of the parts Ive done the same thing with fiberglass or hybrid poles more times than I can count without a problem.

My old fishing partner purchased a Fenwick graphite rod and had it snap in half on him its first trip out at Fish Lake in cold weather too.
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]In Jan, I broke a brand new Berkley Series at Lindon Boat Harbor. I had less than a dozen casts when it snapped in two pieces. It broke on the cast.[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] Also, last aug I had a Loomis GLX snap in two pieces up at Flamminge Gorge during the Utah Bass Federation Qualifier. This was on the cast too.[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] Sometimes, I don't know my own strength.lol [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
I have about twenty high modulus graphite rods and often fish in very cold conditions and have never had a problem. I wonder if some of these experiences are from unseen damage?. Perhaps banging the rod on the way to fishing or some such catastrophe. In the case of that new rod, that might be a manufacturing flaw. I would contact the manufacturer, I'll bet they'll replace it for free.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Last year in the early spring we snapped one at the gorge. Right in the middle of fighting the first mack of the morning. Imagine my dad holding the handle and reeling, with me holding the other half of the rod while still attached to the fish. We landed him. Just a little mack, but man was it cold that day. As I understand it a good high quality rod like a lamiglass is best for extreme cold weatther fishing. I use a high quality graphite rod for ice fishing, but I am sure these rods are built with cold in mind. Hey kent, you gotta bust that rod somehow. Might as well be fighting a big old cold water mack right? Could be worse. I have busted rods in car windows, truck tailgates, ect. Besides, makes a great excuse to spend another $100.00 on a new rod.
[signature]

I fished with nothing but graphite rods all my life. I have fished in 0 to 20 below temps and have never had a rod break in the cold until Predator slammed it in the tail gate[Tongue]. But if you buy a good quality rod and you happen to break it. The manufacture will usally replace it free of charge. But custom rods you don't really have that option but I wouldn't worry about it, I think almost all rods break because of unknown damaged that occurred.
[signature]
unlike you kent I didn't have a custom rod made, but I did just purchase a new IM8. But as some of you know I have been looking for some time now. Before I did that was one of my main questions. Will this break in the cold. I asked the the sales reps, the dealers, and the manufactures. And each said it was possible, but that ther would have to be some kind of defect or damage to the rod. So i laid out the bucks and bought one. Also everyone said if it broke during cold weather to bring it back and they would replace it free of charge. I know they ment during the warrenty period. Like most of you I have my share of brokem rods FB2 has seen to that!!! I bet there are at least 15 in the basement with no tips on them, some with even the second eye gone. Man to be young again!! But this is a sweet rod and I can feel the slightest touch to the line. If it breaks I would not hesitate to get another. Just my 2 cents of this, I love these graphites rods!!!
[signature]
I've had some bad luck with graphite rods . I broke a tip off a fenwick world class fly rod cleaning the ice from it in the winter . Just should of be more careful . One other was a Fenwick Iron feather fly rod and it broke in the summer time . It broke right above the cork handle when I was setting the hook . This really surprised me but It must of a had a ding in it . Most others got hit with doors and I accidently drove over 3 rods one time and destroyed 2 reels in the same act . OUCH!! I still like graphite rods and will keep buying them . Love the feel of them and the sensitivity .
[signature]
[cool] Hey Hellsangler that fenwick you broke can be sent back to fenwick and get a replacement or any other pole they make for 60% off. I broke a 12 year old fenwick lunker stick and they gave me 60% off any pole they make. later chuck
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]HA69,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you decide to send your rod back for the replacement program as utwalleye has suggested, be sure and call for an authorization number first. You just need to call their customer service number and get the number and then send it. They're program works great. I replaced a Pacific Stick that ended up bowing in the sun while stored in a car a 100+ degrees.[/size][/font]
[signature]
When you send your rod to Fenwick, don't send it in a good rod tube. I sent one in, and they were very prompt about replacing it. However, they kept my high dollar rod tube and sent the rod back in a cardboard tube. Turns out the tube was worth more than the rod they replaced. I lost in the end. When I contacted them, they denied any knowledge of the tube. Bummer.....

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I'm not trying to talk anyone out of using a graphite rod. Most of the poles I own are graphite. I haven't found anything that matches the combination of sensitivity and strength. Many of them have been out in sub-zero temps without a problem. Just that with 0 stretch super line, and cold weather, I had one snap, and have heard similar stories. I'm sure that the Cabela's rod would have been fine if I were using mono, or if I hadn't set the hook in my normal Flaming Gorge fashion. You know, try to turn a freight train in it's tracks kinda hook set. just letting everyone know that graphite is more brittle than some other materials in cold weather.
[signature]