Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You guys be careful!
Heard about a drowning at Willard and Utah Lake, so you guys be careful out there!
[signature]
The only thing thats going to be drowning out there while im around is the bait and with a little luck it will get eaten brfore that happen[laugh]....But seriously when were there drowning out at willard and utah lake?[unsure]

FF462
[signature]
[font "Tunga"][#005000][size 3]...Ill be careful sis... you need to be as well... family worries about family..is the way it is... [/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tunga"][#005000][size 3][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tunga"][#005000][size 3]MacFly[/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]
Sorry disregaurd the question just read the article on ksl....really a shame[pirate].

FF462
[signature]
[url "http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1604780"]http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1604780[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the concern, but both of those drownings were "Darwin adjustments"...plain stupidity. Both were the result of poor swimmers attempting to swim further than they were able...just like the kid who drowned at Bear Lake a few days ago. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, if they had been wearing a PFD...[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It's a tragedy alright, when it could have been easily prevented with a simple PFD. One thing that I've required my kids when they go swimming in a lake, especially when we're out on a boat, is to wear a PFD, like you said, TD. I've gotten grief from my kids about this rule and have reminded me that they are good swimmers anyway (which they are) but they have complied anyway.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I probably came off as being insensitive. Not so. I am also Saddened and frustrated whenever I see such a preventable tragedy. Unfortunately, many young people think they will live forever and nothing can harm them. Too bad for their families that they have to be proven wrong.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After our recent discussion on the requirements for PFDs, and I made the point that they should also be required for cars, there have sure been a lot of auto/water incidents in the news. Maybe someday there will be such a requirement.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Several years ago we lost a very good friend at Deer Creek. He was fishing by himself at night. At the end of the trip, he tied his boat to the dock to go get the rig. While he was gone the wind pulled his boat loose and it was drifting away. It wasn't that far away, so he stripped down and went in to retrieve his rig. His PDF was in the boat. It was a very sobering experience for all of us, because we all could picture ourselves doing the same thing. When retrieving the boat by my self, I always wear the PDF to the truck and back. Common sense rules !!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I probably came off as being insensitive. Not so. I am also Saddened and frustrated whenever I see such a preventable tragedy. Unfortunately, many young people think they will live forever and nothing can harm them. Too bad for their families that they have to be proven wrong.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After our recent discussion on the requirements for PFDs, and I made the point that they should also be required for cars, there have sure been a lot of auto/water incidents in the news. Maybe someday there will be such a requirement.[/#0000ff]
You aren't insensitive. you are speaking the truth. people young and old need to figure out what can happen if not prepapared. theres been numerous discussions on this subject and it all boils down to stupid disicions by people that think nothing will happen. It will happen next month and next year and all the people around will say its Sad but nobody will learn from it. don't think I'm an ass I'm just telling it as I see it.
[signature]
[Sad] They must have gotten on the same bus with 2 people that drowned last night at Huntington Beach CA. A group of 5 decided to go for a midnight swim. Only 3 made it back.[unsure]
[signature]
A couple of years ago, I was floating Jordanelle when a guy drowned. It was the same situation. Two guys decided to jump out of the boat they were in and swim to shore. One guy made it, the other got tangled up in submerged trees near the shore, went down and didn't come up. They recovered his body a couple of hours later. No life jacket. I was on the other side of the lake when it happened, and didn't even know that an incident had occurred until the patrol boat zoomed by, but I had kicked past those guys about an hour before and they were all just quietly kicking back with their family in a boat, drowning a few worms and hoping for a perch or planter bow to bite. I don't even think they were drinking. Just one stupid SPLIT SECOND decision cost a man his life. Anyway, it really was a Sad occasion for all on the lake that day, and is a sobering reminder to myself to the the present time to be careful. I also wonder if I had been closer when those guys went in if I could have saved him.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Are you referring to Greg Jonas? I was in Arizona at the time and did not learn of that for a couple of years after it happened. It still bothers me. He had so much tragedy in his life and then to lose his life so needlessly.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yep !!!
[signature]
... you would think that in today information age.. where we have access to so much information.. the news reporting so many drownings..or near drownings.. USCG putting out boating safety information.. internet access to news around the world..and yet we still dont learn..

..one thing I have noticed on all the fishing boards I read..... in all cases safety is the biggest issue being discussed... and for good reason.. we want to enjoy our sport and live to not only tell about it but want to do it again and again... at least I do..

..so if after a story like this ppl talk of safety.. their own experiences.. a lot of "if but for the Grace of God that could be me"... then that is what a how it needs to be said to make sure the point gets across.. and ppl are reminded that safety comes first.. then we (ya'll) have done your job..

... thats just my couple of pennies worth on this topic...

MacFly
[signature]
The funny thing is, It will pass by so many deaf ears and this conversation will take place again and again and its like did someone say something about this . nah must have been my imagination. I don't need a pfd why worry
[signature]
.....Sadly what you say is absolutely true.. but I look at it this way... if in conversations like this we make one person remember.. and that person survives because of it.. it is worth it .... to me anyway.....

MacFly
[signature]