Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12,500 Pounds of Catfish
[center][font "Arial"][url "http://www.americaslibrary.gov/es/tn/es_tn_fish_1_e.html"][Image: es_tn_fish_1_m.jpg][#000000]
[/#000000][/url][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]Sign touting Paris, Tennessee, as the "Home of the World's Biggest Fish Fry" [/size][/font][/font][/center] [center][font "Arial"][/font][/center] [left][font "Arial"]World's Biggest Fish Fry
A Local Legacy
[/font][/left][font "Arial"] [left]
Why is there a giant catfish on top of that sign for Paris, Tennessee? [/left] [left][/font][/left]
[font "Arial"]Because Paris is home to an event that claims to be the "world's biggest fish fry." Hungry visitors will consume about 12,500 pounds of catfish during the festivities, which last for six days. The event began in 1953 and includes parades, square dances, an auto show, and, if you're lucky, a catfish race! [/font]

[font "Arial"]Do you know how Paris, Tennessee, got its name? It was named after Paris, France, to honor the homeland of Revolutionary War hero Lafayette, whose full name is Marquis de Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier! He had fought with George Washington's army and visited Tennessee in the early 1800s. [/font]
[signature]
I got a buddy from paris tennessee, even though he grew up in Nashville. But's he's got to be the most hardcore fisherman I've ever seen. We used to fish this creek off the Cumberland river he would swim to the next spot if the terrain got in the way.....
[signature]
[cool] Why does the moderator always appear to be holding the biggest fish? John in Aurora.
[signature]
I wished I could catch big fish. I caught a bass 8.2 pounds this spring and just a few 5 pounders the rest of the year. Alot of lil ones. But your right, theres a few mods on here that really do catch some monsters! I went out the other morning and caught a 3 pound bass and a 3 foot spotted gar........
[signature]
[mad] Because I live in De3nver metro, the catfishing opportunities are slim. The cats that are here, I wouldn't waste my time skinning, too many toxics in the water but are fun to catch.
I did take my grandson fishing at Cherry Creek (Aurora) and he caught about a half pound cat. He just managed to reel it in about half way before his arms gave out, but he tried. Great time. John.
[signature]
So, you live in Colorado too??? Not much fishing for big ole flatheads out here is there? Miss my trips to Bull Shoals and Table Rock in the summer. We used to catch enough cats in a week to fill a pick-up bed when we would go back there. We'd hold 'em in the local ice house until we were ready to leave; then layer the frozen fillets down with ice/newpapers on top of straw in the bed of the truck. When we got back to Oklahoma, we'd have a huge fish fry for all our relatives. Man was that some good chow!
[signature]
most all of our mods will tell ya, "You should have seen the size of the one that got away" [Tongue]
[signature]
[sly] Colorado doesn't even have a flathead catfish catagory in its fishing records. Cherry Creek (Aurora) has kicked out a few good channel cats but nothing of record size and I wouldn't put my lips around any of them, too many toxins in the water.
[signature]