Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice bass fishing pond, but not anymore. Whats wrong?
[size 1]Hey, i just signed up to this sight about 10 minutes ago. Im 19 years old and have only been fishing a few years. I recently just started fishing a new privately owned, stream fed pond by my town. The first few days i went out there, i caught a bunch of bass ranging in size from 1 to 5 pounds. I also caught crappie, sunfish, bluegill, catfish, and to my surprise, a gar. what's strange is i had all of this good fishing only 2 weeks ago and i only used rapala original floating F-7 lures. Yes, even the catfish and gar were caught with these lures. The time of day i caught the most fish was strange too. In middle to late afternoon, sunny, and hot temperatures 80 degrees up to 90-95. Now, the past few days, ive went out there for about 3-4 hours a day and have not had a single bite. Not even a nibble. After the first day of no bites, i switched to spinnerbaits and still no luck. I've continued experimenting and today have tried powerbait worms, shorter curly tailed grubs, minnow shaped soft plastics and different rapala lures such as the shad rap, and jointed shad rap. Its like all of the fish just figured out whats fake and wont bite anymore. I know there are still fish in it because today i saw 3 gar each over 35 inches long swim by and a bunch of other fish jumping all over. I'm just wondering if there are any suggestions. I am fishing for bass. The gar, catfish, and others that bit on my lure were surprises to me and not what i was aiming for. [/size]
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] Welcome aboard and thanks for taking the time to register.

Each fish will learn the patterns and colors of the baits that you are using.

There is a difference in the way that you use a rapala and another crank bait. There is a difference in the presentation of the worms and the spinners. Each type has its tricks and techniques.

Please fee free to browse through this board as well as the "Tips and Tricks. You will find advice and techniques for most of the different types of baits.

Please feel free to come back here and ask more questions.

When you are in a lake or pond that has very little fishing pressure, everything will bite well for a short time. The more often that you are there with the same technique, the smarter the fish will get.

It is important to change up on colors, style and presentation as you go back each time.

You will also start doing better in the morning and in the late afternoon since the fish are already on to you.[img]../../../../images/gforum/cool.gif[/img][/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like alittle lock jaw going on. Time to change speed of presentation as well as bait. Hot days slow all baits to a crawl. Try a caralina rigged lizard fished real slow and stopping sometimes. Go for weed edges on sunny days[ they like the shade]
[signature]
the fishing has been very tough here in central Georgia. many of the ponds i fish that previously yielded quality fish are beginning to resemble vanishing oases in a David Attenborough documentary. The water temperature soars, the oxygen level plummets, and the fish get lockjaw. I swear you'd have to use dynamite or an old telephone in these ponds right now.

I'd keep trying and maybe look for some deeper,cooler water to fish. Fishing lighted docks on lakes in the evenings is pretty fool proof.
[signature]