Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big fish small rods
[#ff0080]Has anyone caught a bass 5lbs or larger on a 28 inch rod and reel combo in the southern states in the last 7 or 8 months?? I am asking because so far I haven't seen anyone do so on small setup. [/#ff0080]
[#ff0080]from american angler Kenny[Smile][/#ff0080]
[signature]
Welcome aboard fishseeker. Is this a challenge?? I use a 24" rod from my float tube at times. Even for the big Bass. Would you include the Western states in this Challenge??[cool]
[signature]
I don't if u got my reply so I'm sendin again. No not a challenge just wonderin if anyone uses small rods&reels for big fish in the south. What part of the west do u fish?
[signature]
[black][size 3]I don't understand your "hang up" with large fish and small rods, but I will give you my opinion on this option.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm a catch & release type guy, so you will understand my feelings. Whenever you under gun yourself with small equipment, you stress the fish, giving them a small chance for survival.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Like hunting moose with a switch.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have fished with people who felt the whole experience was enhanced by fighting the fish to the death. To me this eliminates the possible chance of releasing a fish that you don't want to keep.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]To me the big item is fooling the fish. If they take my offering, and are hooked, that the end. Landing them means nothing.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I am in SoCal. My small rod fishing is geared more around fish that are planned for the table. Sometimes a Bass will get on the line and will be identified quickly as I slack the line. If I know that I can't bring him in quickly I just let the rig loose and the barbless hook falls out of the mouth.

It is more sporting to make sure the fish will survive the battle if the fish is not invited to your table.[cool]
[signature]
I'm with Saberfish, why tire out fish just for sport? If you want to fish the right way don't go for polar opposites between rod size and fish size. If you want to catch big southern bass, reel them in appropriately on a large to medium sized rod. No snoopy poles...it'll take too long, you could lose the fish, or you could tire the little guys to their deaths.
[signature]
Perhaps you could re-read my previous post word for word. I believe I explained myself well enough.

I do not kill a fish that will not be eaten. I will not take a Bass to the table. Therefore Bass are handled with care.

Bass are toys and Trout are food![cool]
[signature]
I wasn't directing my post at you TubeN2. I was trying to steer fishseeker away from trying to take on big fish with a little rod as it sounded like they hadn't tried it before (without experience this could prove fatal for the fish).
[signature]
No problem bro. I'm one of those type that likes to have something to fish for tomorrow. We do that by releasing todays unharmed.[cool]
[signature]
That's my philosophy as well. Glad there are more C&R fisherman out there.[cool]
[signature]
I do a lot of tackle testing. Full time.

When I am using ultra lite equipment, I always accompany it with barbless hooks. Simply let up on the pressure to slack the line and you go from "Fish on" to "Fish gone" in 1/2 a second therefore a prevention of lactic acid build up and a fish that "Will" be there to catch tomorrow.[cool]
[signature]