Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
caught a nice bass this morning
caught a nice 5 1/4 pound largemouth this morning in a small public pond in central Ga. Some of you might scoff @ a five pounder but I am stoked and consider a five pounder a good fish. It's been tough going during these 100 degree days. Hopefully there will be some more nice bass to come.
[signature]
[reply]
caught a nice 5 1/4 pound largemouth this morning in a small public pond in central Ga. Some of you might scoff @ a five pounder but I am stoked and consider a five pounder a good fish. It's been tough going during these 100 degree days. Hopefully there will be some more nice bass to come.

[/reply]

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I plan on catching a 7 pounder this evening! [Smile]
[signature]
Well, I didn't catch the 7 pounder, But I caught four more than you! Guess I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow for the big one.
[signature]
Nice looking bass sooth, what part of central ga are you from? Also we have a georgia board you should check out. Im sure theyd like to see that bass down there too.

Matt
[signature]
Nice bass for the dog days of summer! Congratulations, I'm not sure I could stand the heat of fishing in the daytime on a Central Georgia lake this time of year. Here in Colorado, we retreat to the mountains and our trout fishing in July and August. But then again, about 45-49 years ago, I fished all day every day in the middle of summer in Oklahoma. Gets hot there too!!! Could be that the problem isn't the heat, could be the problem lies in the age of the fisherman; Reckon?

Regard, & Good Fishin'
[signature]
I caught the fish in Baldwin Co,/Milledgeville area. That photo doesn't do her justice as she'd been in a cooler for 5 or 6 hours by that time. caught 8 that morning. we went back to the same spot that evening and caught 6, many of them after dark. went back this morning and didn't have much luck. the conditions were almost identical as well. I guess that's why they call it fishing instead of catching. caught three and had a few decent strikes. Of course my partner is amateur so he takes the brunt of the blame Wink

age def. has a role in it. I can persevere almost anything if they're biting otherwise you'd nearly have to be a masochist to subject yourself to wrath of a Georgia Summer out on the water. the five pounder was caught early in the morning well before the wet bulb got to full mast. however, amazingly I caught 4 decent bass on a broken shad rap around 10 am. by that time it was already hot. We had no such luck today. I think we might fish with heny fonda this evening...
[signature]
Quote:
Who you callin' amateur, sucka?! I outfished you last night and I'll do it again! As far as age is concerned, I'm twice yours, but I can hang with you. I might not like it, but I was still out there!
When I catch the eight pounder, you'll be grovelling at my knees, wanting advice![sly]
[signature]
Nice fish, to bad it will never get bigger. Dead fish don't grow.
[signature]
Soothsayer and Fendercaster! Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing such a nice picture with us. It is nice to know that we have other Bass Anglers out there.

Please try to keep your pics to not more than 450 pixels. It makes it difficult for some of the members to access the reply button.[Wink]

Do keep up the nice reports. They are great.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
Nice fish, to bad it will never get bigger. Dead fish don't grow. [/reply]

I'm not in agreement with the preservationalist mentality of BASS and Tournament fisherman. On the other hand, I don't keep everything I catch. I don't like poachers. If i want to eat fish, I'm going to keep them-- in accordance with DNR laws of course. Tournament fishermen and BASS want to release Bass so they can catch them again. I want to keep them to either eat or put them on the wall or take them around town as bragging rights. Both outcomes are selfish. Just thought this would be a good time to put my editorial out there.

and about releasing large fish.
Just so you know, this fish was nearly dead after I'd landed it. While it fought well it took a mere minute or so to land it. It wasn't gut hooked either. I put it on a stringer and it faded quickly, rather, it was fading prior to putting it on a stringer. few minutes in the water and it began turning upside down etc. You might say, "Hey, no wonder ... you put it on a stringer." But the two pounder caught subsequently and placed next to it on a stringer wasn't compromised-- it behaved normally.

Some might say water temperature, the fight while being landed (its size and expulsion of energy), deoygenization of the water might've contributed to this fish's malaise, however the water was relatively cool, deep, and there's an abundance of vegetation so I don't suspect there would've been an oxygen problem.

this event and seeing a dead seven pounder floating ( it hadn't been hit by a prop) on sinclair last month exemplify the fact that catch and release doesn't always work. those are just two anecdotes of many-- this is highly nuanced. despite what people say about tournaments and whatever means are made to ensure the rehabilitation of caught fish--- well, I just don't totally buy into it.

now that my partner has his camera running properly I might start hugging a few more trees. but if I see a floater the next day I will not be happy.Wink
[signature]
Anyone can keep whatever they want, as long as it's in accordance with rules. It's a personal choice issue. I have no problem with folks keeping their limit, in fact TubeDude and i filleted a few nice catfish from Utah lake a year back and cooked as per TD's instructions - very tasty!
Not because i don't eat fish, but i would rather go to the market an buy something that is already dead, than do my bit to contribute to the planet's problem of over fishing, over grazing and over populating.

Bass members aren't putting bass back simply to catch them again, it's more complex than that.
Bass fishing represents the largest chunk of the sport fishing industry in the country, and ensuring the survival of fat hawgs turns a lake from a "lake" into a "mecca", thus bringing a lot of cash to the towns around the lake. So making an effort to keep any game fish healthy ensures people who don't even fish stand to benefit from the thought process.
Of course - it is also important to listen to what the folks in the know say. If research indicates a certain fish needs its numbers brought down to maintain ecological balance, then they have to be kept. Emotions have no place in science and facts.

Anywayz, nice fish!

-ABT
[signature]
well, you helped make my point in the first paragraph. I already told you i don't keep everything. And of course there's no denying the economic contribution of sportfishing and hunting -- especially in rural areas without much commerical or industrial infrastructure.

Sure, there are several reasons behind releasing fish. Yet I still believe that primary motive under all that "veneer and hollow humanitarian rhetoric" is to catch more bass. Remember, I'm not the poacher but I still believe in keeping bass. Maybe it has to do with the abundance of fish in the area in which I'm from and fish frequently.

You subscribe to an ideology. This is a partisan issue. And whether you're cogniscent of it or not, you too are swayed by emotion. I'm of a different persuasion than you. I would much rather harvest a fish myself for my supper table than purchase some pond raised, corporate fish out of kroger's seafood section. Pardon me but I'm attracted to subsistence. I hunt deer also, I don't think they've figured out a catch and release technique on them yet, aside from hunting with a camera or using tranquilizers.

What do I really think? If all of you guys got on the same page and took over the fishing world like Jack Finney's "Body Snatchers" (you're getting pretty close) the allure of a big bass would vanish and they would become no big deal. So, I'm resigned to reside "halfway" between you and the cane pole fisherman who feeds his family and fills his freezer.

moderately,
j

[reply]
Anyone can keep whatever they want, as long as it's in accordance with rules. It's a personal choice issue. I have no problem with folks keeping their limit, in fact TubeDude and i filleted a few nice catfish from Utah lake a year back and cooked as per TD's instructions - very tasty!
Not because i don't eat fish, but i would rather go to the market an buy something that is already dead, than do my bit to contribute to the planet's problem of over fishing, over grazing and over populating.

Bass members aren't putting bass back simply to catch them again, it's more complex than that.
Bass fishing represents the largest chunk of the sport fishing industry in the country, and ensuring the survival of fat hawgs turns a lake from a "lake" into a "mecca", thus bringing a lot of cash to the towns around the lake. So making an effort to keep any game fish healthy ensures people who don't even fish stand to benefit from the thought process.
Of course - it is also important to listen to what the folks in the know say. If research indicates a certain fish needs its numbers brought down to maintain ecological balance, then they have to be kept. Emotions have no place in science and facts.

Anywayz, nice fish!

-ABT [/reply]
[signature]
And I'm happy for you and the ten kids you might feel the need to raise. I'm snipped, need no more than what's available (perhaps from 8yrs in the military and being grateful for the rations I got) and happy to go my way. I will live to maybe 90 if I'm lucky and if the Earth is a barren wasteland after i go, well at least I won't be around to shake my head and nor will any of my non existent kids have to blame "my generation" for what they are left with.
Enough for me thanks, I tried to be nice ... but a typical reaction of a person who has only himself and self gratification in mind. What did you say? "Bragging rights"? You should move to the big city - your mentality fits. So I'm done with this post.
And by the way ... you sound very educated ... goes to show ... education does not account for decency.

-ABT
[signature]
It is really nice bass.
[signature]