Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 fly rig for panfish
I just ran across this rig, wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

[Image: popper-nymph-2.jpg]

A popper used as an idicator with a nymph suspended underneath.
Wondering if it was anything worth trying, seems like it'd be a bugger to cast, no pun intended.
[signature]
That looks like something that I know Flygoddess uses from time to time.[cool]
[signature]
I have used that type rig while ff'ing... there are several way to rig it but I do know FG knows a lot more about it than I.. but I will say at first it can be a pain to cast.. I found.. for me any way..to slow myself down a bit.. with the heavier weight (two flies vs one plus the extra wind resistance of the popper) plus the extra tippet combined with going to fast tends to make things snap around to much and that is when lines will get tangeld... if I slow my cast just a tad I have more control and can usually place the flies where I want them for a better presentation to the fishies.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I think it makes good sense to fish a dropper. You are covering two Zones at once, great way to find where they are.
The one in the picture is a dropper off the bend of the hook. This is the most popular. I don't see it causeing any issues being off a dry fly. Experiment with the length of the dropper from 1' to 5'.
When fishing two wet flies or nymphs, I prefer to tie the dropper off the EYE of the first hook or a small tag. This lets both nymphs (or wooly buggers) float the way they are suppose to.
Don't get me wrong, I have nymphed with this set up, but doing the Eye or tag, I have got two fish at once.
You can even use the one in the picture with a smaller Dry dropper.
Just slow down your cast and you will be fine.
[signature]
I have not tied off the eye even though I have heard you talk of it numerous times before.. soooooooooooooooo

... two questions just for my clarification..

one.. when you tie off the eye can you use a popper and a smaller nymph or maybe a steamer and get the same results? and..

two. when tying off the eye do you arrange it (so to speak) so the dropped fly comes off under the top fly (popper for example).. or over it.. or does it matter.. personally I would think if it comes off the eye and is under the lead fly it would make all things go smoother..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
With a popper, I would probably go with the tag instead of off the EYE cause the popper has to be able to POP.
Take your leader, attach about 18" to 20" of tippet with a surgeon's loop. Clip ends. Then just above the knot you just created, add another piece of tippet about 10" to 12" long, using a surgeon's loop. Make sure the short end of tag is pointing toward the Line, so both tippets are facing the same direction. If you us the other direction, it will cock the line.
[signature]
[black][size 3]That's an interesting setup. I'm not sure that no matter how you attach the second fly that it would not have an effect on the action of the popper.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I've never tried it, but it would be an interesting experiment.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Even under good conditions, it's sometimes difficult to get good action from a popper.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I have been renting movies from Netflix and I just got one called FLY FISHING TV - Frog Holler Hogs. At the end is a segment by Davy Wotton , that explains this TAG dropper thing very well.
I have already sent the Video back, so it is available LOL.
I tried Poppers once at Pelican and that is the only reason I suggested the tag thing. It also depends on how big the dropper is.

Personally I think I would go off the bend, but I have a thing for the "Y" connection thing.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I think that the concept is really good. The only popper fishing that I have done is a little early morning for SMB at lake X. But the thoughts of "pulling" their attention to the surface with the popper, and offering them a subsurface fly, really gets my interest.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If I was out n bout, I'd be on Lake X tomorrow morning to try it.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#005028]Hey there FGD I also rented that same flick. I copied it to my hard drive so I always have access to it. However, I am not able to share it with anyone since that would be an FBI no, no. I think that in one of several that Davy is shown setting up a dropper he tagged on I believe 6 flies. Must be something like throwing one of those gaucho bolas. LOL[/#005028]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=28697;][/center]
[signature]
.... to date I have only used the drop fly off the bend of the hook using a perfection knot....I have done this with a popper and a smaller nymph.. also done this with a larger/smaller nymph set up.. even tried a clouser/nymph or leech.. last time I was out I used the corn and frog flies you sent me with a smaller nymph as the dropper.. I will have to read and try your y connection.. lol. course Ill have to learn a surgeons knot first.. [Smile]... also will have to try the eye of the hook setup with two nymphs...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]