Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to land my first one
I have been fishing for bass for the last couple of months but the progress has been slow, having little time to get out there and practice is hard. I need to start catching bass to keep my entusiasm going, I had a few bites on different lures but the bass end up trowing the hook out of it's mouth. I sometimes forget to set the hook or do a little wimpy hook set and I believe that is were I am loosing them. I know I am still a newbee but I need to see some progress.
The only bass I have cought has been with live bait.
[signature]
Hey we all have to start somewhere...

First off, I'd look into what seems to be the popular choice of bait used by other fishermen in your area (i.e. what local tackle shops sell the most of). On a more specific note I seem to have the most success with soft-plastics (worm or dinger models) in the colors of pumpkin or watermelon. You'll have to try out various models and colorations to see what works for you (but give these a shot).

As far as hooksets go, its best to set the hook the instant you feel (or think) you have a fish on. This is good for you (as the fish is caught more easily) and good for the fish (as it doesn't have time to swallow the bait and sustain internal injury during hook removal). Try sharpening your hooks (dull hooks obviously are less productive) and use a natural looking retrieve (not to fast or too slow) as either tends to spook bass.

If you let us know what area of the country you're fishing in we'll be able to help a little more as far as specifics go (lure type and landscape scouting).

Good luck![cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply.
I realize I have still ways to go, I guess because everything about bass fishing is new for me, from casting with a baitcaster to working the lures to positioning my pontoon in the water. I feel like I am making progress but is is slow, for instance, I don't get as many backlashes on my baitcasting reel as when I fisrt started. So there is little hope.
I fish the lower colorado river and a local lake, Mittry is called. I have been out with some seasoned fisherman trying to learn from them and at least I make it a point to learn 2 things everytime I get out. The water depth in the colorado is around 17-20ft in the area where I fish, and the lake is around 15ft with some deeper holes. It is always sunny here and hot, around 115ยบ during the summer, so the most comfortable bite is during the early morning and evening(topwater), I am currently practicing my texas rig and dropshooting, I realized my texas rig needs a sinking line, yes, as a catfisherman mono is a good all around line but not for bass, I had a few bites dropshooting and I will continue practicing that. Need to get some flouro line for my texas rig.
Got some topwater lures but the lure that interests me the most is the spinerblades, for some reason I really want to catch fish with them but not sure what will be the right conditions for that presentation.
[signature]
Spinnerbaits will work well when fish are closer to the topwater (and the way you describe things that sounds like dusk and dawn). If I were you I'd try chartruse colorations if the water is murky. If the water is clear stick with greens and browns.

When I go texas rigged I don't used a specific sinking line...just my two cents. Maybe you won't have to, give it a shot.

When fishing for bass look for structure! Bass look for two things: shelter and easy food. If you cast in front of bridges, weeds, or fallen trees (anything bass can hide under or around) you increase your chances of placing bait in front of the fish. Bass like to attack their prey close to home then return quickly to digest their catch.

All in all, you just have to adapt to your situation. Over time, as you fish more and more you'll come to find out what works well and what doesn't. Remember, bass are finicky and are likely to change their bait color and type preferences any moment. Thus, it is intelligent to carry a well stocked tackle box as well as a paitent attitude to allow time for the bass to accept your presentation.

Bottom line: the best way to become better is hands on experience. Reading forums helps a lot when you are slumping or have a question but in the end experienced anglers and time on the water are the best remedies for "greenness."
[signature]
Ok, thanks for the ideas. My current texas rig has a 3/8 weight and 17lb monofilament and I notice I was loosing contact with the bottom of the river, I have yet to try it at Mittry lake, it may work since it is a few feet shallower than the river.

I am planing on going to a small pond this weekend, a man made pond that suppose to have good amounts of bass. I figure a smaller body of water should help me see things a little better, I really don't know how deep it is but there are a couple of small islands within casting distance, and a lot of weeds comming all the way to the surface or a few inches below it. I want to try my frogs and other topwater lures there. I hope to catch some fish.
[signature]
Sounds like prime bass waters. Make sure to go early in the morning (5:00 AM-ish) and fish off the sandbars and islands as these seem to always be early morning hotspots. A word of advice: smallmouth bass go wild for crawfish; thus, you might want to pick up a weedless craw and add that to your repertoire. Otherwise, good luck and let us know how things go.[cool]
[signature]
Welcome aboard and thanks for the inquiry.

When using a Carolina rig in a river, it is necessar to step the weight up a little bit. Mojo makes a good incremental weight system to help conquer the demands of even the best Bass angler.

Mittry Lake is a good lake to start off in. It provides many different types of structure to practice on.

Early morning and late afternoon is most productive right now with a spinner of buzz bait. After the morning bite is done on topwater you can use the Carolina, Texas or Wacky rigged worms or other plastics at a deeper area.[cool]
[signature]
Try switching to a braided line like Powerpro or Fireline for your texas rig. You will feel the bottom better and any strikes you get. Drop down to 8-10lb test as these lines are strong. Always use a polimar knot when useing braids.
[signature]
Thanks for the ideas guys, I can't wait till the weekend, althoug they are predicting thunderstorms for my area, we shall see.
[signature]
[reply]
Try switching to a braided line like Powerpro or Fireline for your texas rig. You will feel the bottom better and any strikes you get. Drop down to 8-10lb test as these lines are strong. Always use a polimar knot when useing braids. [/reply]
You mention I should go down to 8-10lb test on braided line. I have to ask, isn't the test of the line the amount of force/pull the line can resist before breaking? I mean, a 10lb test line will break at 10lb of force if it is mono or braid or anything else? is that what the number means?
[signature]
I don't mean to but in on someone elses question but yes. The pound test number is usually the breaking strength of the line.

We keep from breaking our line by setting the drag properly. If you set the drag properly, you are assured of having some fresh fish for dinner.

When fishing for Bass, use a stronger setup and get him in fast for a quick picture before releasing. LMB don't tast very good but they do like to play very short and quick games of tug-o-war.[cool]
[signature]
Here's a link a to a pretty good article about fishing line.

[url "http://http//fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/a/fishinglinecon.htm"]fishing line[/url]

*Depending on your security settings you may not be able to access this site. It is the 'intranet' instead of the 'internet'. (about.com)
[signature]
I've used 10lb test Fireline to catch 9lb rainbows and 36" Pike. It's all a choice of the angler to what you may like to use. I do get longer casts with no memory useing it.
[signature]
Thanks guys, I did stop and get me some 10lb braided line last night. I will be trying it this weekend I hope.
[signature]
I got my first bass on a lure this past Saturday.

It came on a spinnerbait, it was sweet, all I could think of during the 3 second fight was, "please stay on the hook" I had a good hookset this time and I think that made the diference. After that I tried to reploduce what I did to get that one fish but could not get another one.

My experiment with braided line was not so successfull, I made a mess on the reel and I had to stip it from it since I could not cast anymore, the top wraps of line started to dig in to the reel, it was also hard to tie anything to it. I am not sure I will try it again, if anything I may give it another shot with a heavier line, I think the 10lb was to thin I I could not handle it very well.
[signature]
A reason for the bass throwing your hook may also be that you are not keeping your line tight enough. "Give a bass slack you get your hook back" , is a good motto to remember.
Another good trick I have found is shoving the end of your rod way beneath the water surface to prevent the bass from leaping. To make this technique even more solid I use nothing less than a 7' medium action rod on long casts or deep cranking.

-ABT
[signature]
Thanks for the input, I will try that.
[signature]
IMPORTANT: Always set your hook straight up, never sidearm!! You will never land a bass setting the hook sideways. Keep your pole high when reeling in and do not let ANY slack at all for he will dive down and shake the hook loose!
[signature]
Thanks Fishnoob, that has been a problem for me, but what a difference a landed fish makes, I feel confident I can do this. Thanks again.
[signature]
You can do it .... now go get 'em!!!

-ABT
[signature]