Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payson Lake
I am thinking of fishing Payson Lake in about a month what kind of fish do they have and what do you use?
[signature]
They have rainbow and brook trout. I have found that flies (I'm a bubble and fly fisherman) Powerbait, Pautzke's Ball of Fire Salmon Eggs, and bright spinners have all worked at times. Probably a nightcrawler and a marsh mallow would work. I believe because the bottom is such a dark colored mud, that fishing with nightcrawlers on the bottom hasn't been productive for me. Beautiful scenery. The upper reservoir is by far the largest, with the middle reservoir being the smallest.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.Do they plant it and are they very big?
[signature]
Yes, they do plant it and no, they are not very big. Great place to take your kids. Easy access. Don't know if you will be able to get into it in April though. It is fairly high up and the road is likely to be snowed in, or at least the gate shut and locked.
[signature]
I am a big fan of panther martin spinners at Payson lakes in a float tube. Most colors panther martin curiously does work good for me. I love to use that smaller lakes (Maple and McClellan), as they are virtually uncrowded, and holds plenty of brookies to play with. I like to use a 5 foot ugly stik with four pound line. There's nothing majorly big in those waters, occasionally you'll come across a 5 pounders, but mostly 12' to 14' inch trout. Brookies tend to be smaller around 10' to 13' inchers. Extremely playful and lots of fun! Purely catch and release on my part though.
[signature]
We are planning a family camping trip with alot of first tme fisherman. I had heard it is pretty easy fishing thats why we were thinking of going there. We will just postpone for a little while until we can get up in there. I use a 6ft ugly stick with usually 6lb Stren. I do like using panther martins also have had alot of sucess with them with most trout lakes. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I also enjoy Payson Lakes. I usually fly-fish it in my float tube. I like it because it is very much like the Uintahs, with the pines and all. However, you should know that just like most lakes, fishing can be good and it can be poor. I have been skunked there before.
[signature]