Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge
A few questions about Flaming Gorge. I have been to Flaming Gorge a few times, but never timed it from SLC to the Gorge. Anyone know how long it takes to drive it through Evanston? How early, and where can one purchase the area passes? Are the passes available online now? I have been taught well by BLM how to jig Bear Lake. Any variation in these techniques for Flaming Gorge? Is 3 and 4 inch length plastic jig bodies about right for macks at Flaming Gorge? Any tips on jigging for kokanee would also be welcome. Thanks in advance for any advice.
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]Hey Kent, its 90 miles from Evanston to Manila. You can get dual the Gorge permit(Wyo/Utah) at any of the stores. Last year it was $10.00. Methinks, this is what you were talking about. Parking passes are at any store too. [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Kent, you should do fine with BLM's techniques. The Gorge can be hit and miss at times, but if you can locate structure that will definately help. Do you have a Gorge map, if you don't I would suggest getting one. Structure is key to increasing your odds. Find the typical structure, humps, ridges, dropoffs, and river chanels and fish right near the bottom.[/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]What part of the lake are you heading to? If you don't want to get a map, PM me and I will take digital pics of the area you want to go and send them to you. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I have fished with jigs as small as 2" up to 9" depending on the conditions, if the barometric pressure is low, I fish small jigs and I slow down a little. If the pressure is high or if it has been steady for 3 days or so then the fish will be more active and more likely to take large stuff in my experience. Here is a link to a weather site that has pressure data. Right now the conditions are great, the pressure is above 30 and has been that way for about 3 days. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[url "http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/wrhq/GetMetar.cgi?RKS+Public+Riverton"][font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/wrhq/GetMetar.cgi?RKS+Public+Riverton[/size][/#0000a0][/font][/url]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]If I were to go tomorrow I would bring my big jigs and work them aggressively on good structure. Here is a picture of some of the jigs in my Gorge box. The longest ones are 9" to give you scale. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3][Image: TYLE9991CustomImage0262997.jpg] [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]One thing that I have seen on the Gorge but I haven't seen on the Bear is the tendency for the fish to catch the jig on the fall. Be aware of where the bottom is, if your jig stops short, set the hook. Maybe this happens at the Bear, but I haven't seen it. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]The big fish have seen about everything made by man so if the fish aren't biting try something off of the wall. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I never did have great success for kokanee, so someone else will have to answer that question. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]I think your best bet for early morning lisences would be the Evanston Wal Mart, I think they are open early if not all night. I don't think that you can get them online yet. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
[#ff0000]The last time we went to the "George" the fish finder was on the fritz so we skipped the jigging but surprisingly we did fairly well trolling rapalas at 70 feet on a downrigger for some macs. Only lost one weight to! The Kokanee were nutz over a green size 2 needlefish down about 5-6 colors on leaded line. There are a coupla sub species in there so the size depended where we were and what type of Kokes we were catching. Interestingly enough, we picked up a few rainbows and 2 BASS trolling that deep. Weird....[/#ff0000]
[signature]
[font "Technical"][#0000a0][#0000a0][size 3]Kent, when you said passes, I was thinking licenses, Evanston probably won't have the Flaming Gorge use passes. You may want to call Steineker Chevron in Manila to see what time they open and if they have use passes. Their number is 1-435-784-3363. Or Lucerne Marina 1-435-784-3117 to see what time they open. What area do you plan to fish? [/size][/#0000a0]

[Image: TYLE9991CustomImage0273016.jpg][/#0000a0][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 3]Here is a unique jig that was designed by one of the local guides. It is homemade from a 2.5 oz. lead head painted white, it has a stinger hook attached (hard to see it in the fluff) with cable and rabbit fur is folded in half to cover the stinger hook cable and glued. This jig has produced many large fish by suspending it about 5 feet over fish and holding it dead still, the hair provides the action. It is best if you have good sonar so you can see your jig and the fish coming up to see it. The hit is often extremely light. They are used in either white or black and can be made as long or short as you want. This one is 8", but 12"ers produce well with two sets of stinger hooks. [/size][/#0000a0][/font]
[signature]
[Smile] hi kentofns i know that you can get a parking pass at the maverik gas station in mountain view wyoming and i think that they also have the gorge stamps for fishing. i had a friend tell me that he forgot his parking pass and they gave him a $40.00 fine for not having his parking pass displayed on his windshield that day. hope this helps you good luck fishin
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. I saw a show once on Doug Miller where they had the guide and his rabbit fur jigs. Does anyone sell them? I have an excellent fishfinder. Any experienced Flaming Gorge jigger out there who would like to join me in a fishing trip to Flaming Gorge please PM me.
[signature]
F.Y.I. for those who have not been the Manila way recently. The gas station no longer carries the day passes for Flaming Gorge/Green River. I would suggest if you are going to make a few trips a year, to purchase the annual pass at $20.00. It goes 12 months from the month purchased, not from Jan. to Dec. making it worth my money just not to worry about it. The annual pass is plastic and can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle on the rear view mirror so pool up with a few guys and buy one.

Since Flaming Gorge is a National Recreation Area in the Ashley National Forest, the National Forestry Service handles the fees. Try your local Forestry office. Here are some of the places I know you can get them. You can pick up passes at the Forestry offices in Vernal, Green River, WY, and Manila. The grocery store in Manila took over the contract from the gas station so you can get them there, Flaming Gorge Lodges, the visitors center at the dam, Buckboard marina, Lucerne Valley Marina, Cedar Springs Marina, and I would think the other marinas I don't know the names of.
[signature]
Hi Kent, Bryan here.

I have found that the drive time thru Evanston to the turn-off to the Dam is about 3 and 1/2 hours. I have also found that the drive thru Vernal to the turn-off is about 3 and 1/2 hours. So I usually will go one way and come home the other, making a round trip and different scenery. I will usually go thru Vernal and fill up the gas tanks there and then not need gas again until getting back home. Good Luck
[signature]
I called the Forest Service (435-784-3445) in Manila today and they will mail out passes. They also said that they have a 24-hour self-service place outside of their office where one can purchase one-day passes. The cost for passes are:

One-day $2

Sixteen-day $5

One-year $20

Their address is:

USDA Forest Service

PO Box 279

Manila, UT 84046

I ordered a season pass, so the macks at Bear Lake can take a breather for awhile (except I am heading to Bear Lake in the morning)!
[signature]