Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using downriggers for salmon
Hello again, I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on using a cannon downrigger for salmon trolling. Some of my questions are how to attach line to clip, do you use twists for setback or just loop thru? What about using multiple lines off one downrigger wire. We are going to troll, as far as now anyways, streamer flies and some spoon type lures. Do you bring up the ball after the strike?(god willing there will be a strike) Thanks again all for your advice, john
[signature]
[black][size 3]To rig you downrigger setup, you will have a length of wire cable from the downrigger to the lead ball (usually 10 pounds). There are several companies who market downrigger releases, some are better than others. Just follow the mfg. instructions for attaching your line. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There is one company that I know that has a release for a second line. The Shasta Tackle Co. has a very tricky set up for attaching and using a second rig. If you go their web site, the have it demonstrated there.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]After the strike, yes, you will have to retrieve your weight. This will keep it out of the way when you land your fish, and also you will need it to redo your set up for the next trolling pass.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I just went into the net, and looked at the Shasta site, and find several there, If you look around, the name of the second release is the Shuttle Hawk. It allows you to set your downrigger, and then drop the second line at any depth you want. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[url "http://www.shastatackle.com/stacking.html"]http://www.shastatackle.com/stacking.html[/url]
[signature]
Saber, how do you attach the cline thru the clip. Do you just put it in the clip ordo you have to twist the line? What about setting the hook? Does the fish set itself? Thank alot, john
[signature]
[black][size 3]All of the releases use different methods to attach the line. (some wrap around posts, some fit between sides of a tensioned spring, several different methods. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The fish will set the hook when it takes the bait. It has to hit it hard enough to pull the line from the release. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Also, because the line is held in place by tension, you will have to "hand test" the amount of pull required to release. (large fish require more tension than small fish)[/size]

[black][size 3]If you go to the Cabelas web site, under trolling equipment, they have a number of downrigger releases shown. This will give you an idea of the different types available.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Thnak alot for your help! John
[signature]