Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a new to me Boat and a few questions.
Well here goes with a long post, sorry. A few months ago my dad was giving me grief about wanting another grandchild and I (knowing we were talking about it) said well buy me a boat and I will get to work on it. My dad say sure. Well he called my last week and said I am the proud owner of a 12 ft sea nymph with a Johnson 9.9 and a small 2hp kicker. Now I have to produce hehe. So my question is. I know that with the motor I need to mix the gas with the oil is there a recommended 2 stoke oil that you guys/gals use? Also what mixture. He said that the previous owner (my dads friend actually) did not have the books on the motor and it was actually his dads, so he was not sure of the mixture rate.

Now for dumb questions 2 and 3.
With a small boat and a 9.9 motor would I be better looking to sell the 2hp and get an electric trolling motor?

The boat needs electronics and mine that I have for my float tube is acting up ever since last winter ( I think i froze it and messed it up). I am not wanting to spend thousands on but would like a decent set up. So far I was looking at the Humminbird 565 or 575's. Or would also consider a Lowrance as well (just do not know which model to look at on those). I would like to keep the electronics under 300.00 and would like to be able to use it on the tube possible but for sure on the hard deck.

Lastly any advice you can give to a 1st time boat owner woill be greatly appreciated. As soon as I can get up to get it I will post up some pics.

Thanks
Majja
[signature]
The H3 just wasn't big enough.[Tongue] Congrats on the boat.
[signature]
I love the H3, but i cant take the 2yr old out in it. My dad and I were having that discussion about 2 months ago. I thought he was just kidding. I am willing to bet my tube gets more water time than the boat will, cause it fits in the back of my car that gets 28 mpg. But on the other had it will be nice to stay out of the water when it gets real cold, and just have all that cold aluminum around me. hehe
[signature]
[black][size 3]Congrats on the new boat. I guess that you haven't realized it yet, but you have been "Grandpa duped".[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Your father is no dummy, for a few bucks, he got the promise of a new grandchild, and probable invitations for fishing trips without the concerns of licensing, storage, upkeep, etc.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]When you get older, you too will find that grown children are suckers for bribery. I've been using it for years.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I can only hope that i could get my dad back into fishing. I have not fished with him in years and would love to start. I know I have great memories of going out with him and my grandpa when I was a young boy and would love my daughter to do that if she chooses. In this case I don't mind getting duped. For a good cause.
[signature]
YAY! We need to get more time to fish together with the fams now. After using my 3hp motor I would say for you to get rid of the 2 hp and get a nice quiet electric for the slow trolling, but thats just me.
Cangrats, can't wait to use it [Wink]
[signature]
Congratts on your new ride. I too would get rid of of the 2hp and get an electric as for fishfinder you can get a Lowrance x135 for about 400$ or the Eagle 320 for 150 I have owned both and for the money the eagle is a way good deal. I run Pennzoil premium and mix it 50/1 M.H
[signature]
Different two strokes require a different mix of oil. Do some research and find out the mix ratio for your outboards, or you could destroy them, or at a minimum you could foul up the spark plugs. I use Yamalube.
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys. As of now the recommended for the Johnson is 50:1 So that is where I am at. The good news I went up to my dads and checked and cleaned the plugs, Changed the gas in the tank as it was filled and mixed last time in 1985 (also the last time the motor was started). I slapped the ears on her and she started 4th pool. How ever I noticed immeadatly that she was not putting out any water from the cooling exhaust port so I shut her down before allowing it to heat up. (the motor ran for about 30 sec.) I wil be taking it up to Lees to have him put in a new impeller and water pump if needed. But hey for not running since 85 and starting that quick I am very happy.
[signature]
Wise choice on your part. Also have him drain and replace the fluids in the lower unit.
[signature]
I will thanks.
[signature]
I have a 6hp gas and 55lb thrust electric you are wise to have 2 forms of propulsion that are not rowing!
[signature]