Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got me a boat ... well soon anyway.
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] Well here goes with a long post, sorry. A few months ago my dad was giving me grief about wanting another grandchild and I (knowing we were talking about it) said well buy me a boat and I will get to work on it. My dad say sure. Well he called my last week and said I am the proud owner of a 12 ft sea nymph with a Johnson 9.9 and a small 2hp kicker. Now I have to produce hehe. So my question is. I know that with the motor I need to mix the gas with the oil is there a recommended 2 stoke oil that you guys/gals use? Also what mixture. He said that the previous owner (my dads friend actually) did not have the books on the motor and it was actually his dads, so he was not sure of the mixture rate.

Now for dumb questions 2 and 3.
With a small boat and a 9.9 motor would I be better looking to sell the 2hp and get an electric trolling motor?

The boat needs electronics and mine that I have for my float tube is acting up ever since last winter ( I think i froze it and messed it up). I am not wanting to spend thousands on but would like a decent set up. So far I was looking at the Humminbird 565 or 575's. Or would also consider a Lowrance as well (just do not know which model to look at on those). I would like to keep the electronics under 300.00 and would like to be able to use it on the tube possible but for sure on the hard deck.

Lastly any advice you can give to a 1st time boat owner woill be greatly appreciated. As soon as I can get up to get it I will post up some pics.

Thanks
Majja [/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[ul][li]sea nymph, good boat[/li] [li]9.9 johnson good motor[/li] [li]Mix 40-1[/li][/ul] [indent]
best bet is to go buy a new tank or at least a new gas cap for your tank. it will have a dip stick that will tell you how much oil to add in order to fill up the tank with gas. almost idiot proof.
[/indent] [ul] [li]KEEP THE 2HP KICKER even if you sell the boat keep it, you will regret gitting rid of it, I have a 2.5 kicker and it is my best buddy, if ever the big motor breaks down the little one will get ya home.[/li] [li]a new 35 pound thrust minkota is only a $105.oo out of the box from wally world or meijjers.[/li] [li]90wt geer lube you can get from any boat shop or any auto supply shop. you need to change it every fall weather you use the motor or not. There are two screw plugs on the motor. one half way up from the prop either on the side or on the back, open that. at the bottom under the prop on the bottom of the round part beside the motor fin. Pull both to drain. to fill both plugs need to be out, then fill from the bottom untill oil comes out of the top plug. that is the proper way to tell if you filled it enough. do not lay it on its side to fill, always on a motor mount or on the back of the boat some what level.[/li] [li]the books you can get on line for a small fee.[/li] [li]in the winter if you are going to leave the gas line and tank hooked up to the motor, make sure you have placed a fuel stabelizer in the gas tank and run it a bit before putting it away. If not just pull the tank and add few stabelizer to the fuel and pull the spark plug and spray in to the spark plug hole a shot of WD-40, then pull on the crank rope to turn the motor over then put the plugs back in and cover for winter.... In the spring it will smoke a little when you first start it up, that is normal.[/li][/ul]
[ul] [li]as far as electonics, ya cant hardly go wrong with a hummingbird. they have gotten so much better than they were when they first came out. mine is 25 years old, still working summer and winter but my display is like the old pong vidio games, a couple black dots floating across the screen to anounce the bottom of the lake or a suspended fish.[/li][/ul]

if you need to know more about the johnson find the modle number and I will look up the book for ya so you can order it....
[signature]
Hey Dave thanks for all the great info. I am looking forward to getting this little beauty on the water. My dad was telling me that the paint isnt even worn of the prop, so I do not think it has had much use just very well taken care of.
[signature]