Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
line mending
hey folks,

can any one tell me the proper way to mend line. I cant seem to get the hang of it.

thanks much
pa [crazy]
[signature]
If your fishing a small stream, I usually don't even mend my line. I keep the fly line off the water and keep up with the fly as it drifts naturally. When mending is needed, the easiest way I've found is just to look where the water is carrying your line down faster than it is anywhere else during the drift and throw this section upstream a bit. Everyone has their own way of doing the "mend", and half the time I mend it looks terrible, but as long as there is slack in your line, the fly can drift naturally without other currents making it drag or pulling it out of the lane. Being able to mend properly really helped me catch fish from areas where the trout have an education.
[signature]

thanks Anthonygreer. will give it a go this evening.

tight lines
pa
[signature]
Holding the line tight in one hand and giving it a light tug at the same time flicking the wrist, of the hand holding the rod, in a quick rotation up and to the direction you would like the line to go. hard enough to move the line but not too hard as to effect your indicator or your dry fly.
[signature]
Also practice casts that will give you a longer drift without having to mend like the slack cast, reach cast, wiggle cast, curve cast, pile cast, etc. Feeding line to extend a drift farther downstream is another important aspect of line mending as well.
[signature]
I agree with ScottyP. Also try just before the fly hits the water, a flick of the rod tip up stream. It should carry the line up before it hits the water. But figure "S" is great if there is all sorts of different currents going on.
[signature]
+1 to what scottyp said and flygoddess
[signature]
In small streams you can "high stick it" by holding your fly rod up high and following your drift with no line on the water. This is a sure way to be drag free. [Wink][Wink]
[signature]