Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catchin cats now. this rocks.
my time has apparently come. i have started catching cats. i caught my first one last wednesday and my 2nd thursday, and i caught the biggest one yet tonight. just over a foot long, im proud of it. the first one is the first cat, then the 2nd, anf finally tonight's.

if i knew where to hold the fish on the mouth or wherever, i would take the hook out before i took a pic. and if i knew what i was supposed to do from the moment i land the fish, i'd keep em and cook em.
[signature]
I just got back from the local pond and it was marginal. We landed 4 about 3# and missed a bunch. Last week we caught 16 in 3 hours and some of them were about 5 and 6#. I am glad you finally figured them out a little. Isn't it great when it all comes together? Keep it up and keep us updated.[Smile]
[signature]
yeah its frickin awesome! i really love fishing now. i bought another zebco rod (404LE) to put on my smaller rod, and its really smooth, but it has a weird drag system for me. it has the drag knob on the side where the retrieve is. but, it does work really well, and i caught a smaller fish on it as i was pullin in my last cast of the night. but im off work tomorrow for labor day, so im getting me a couple of things of worms and go for hours. ive only been stayin out there for about an hour, but if i have plenty of daylight i wanna stay for a long time.
[signature]
nice catch. Glad to see you stuck with it. It just takes practice and luck. Just keep on fishing. what kind of bait you use? It is a blast fighting those catfish. the temperatures have changed to where the catfish are moving all around so I am not getting any hits at all now where I fish at. I am pretty much done fishing until ice season roles around.
[signature]
straight nightcrawlers. its basic, easy, and though i still get hits from bluegills and brim and even that big ole red ear sunfish i caught, they're all bigger than they were when i was fishing the pier.
[signature]
[Wink] And that's what it's all about. Once you have enough filets, on the grill or in the skillet, there's nothing better than fresh caught fish.
[signature]
[Wink] I can honestly state, afterall fishermen don't lie, that I have caught more fish of all species in nightcrawlers than on any other bait.
[signature]
Congrats simp! Theirs some nice looking channel cats in the ol tennessee river. I knew youd figure them out before to long. Cook them up with some creole seasoning and enjoy! Next time Im in that part of bama We'll have to hook up and try to find that monst cat I knows out there [Wink]

Matt
[signature]
ohhhhh im pretty sure i came face to face with that monster cat tonight bro. im not totally certain it was a cat, but it looked like one in the dim lighting. about 2 or so feet long, had to be bout 15 lbs. got it to the edge of the shore, then it bent my hook and got loose. i havent caught any channel cats as of yet, just some blues. man that big fish gave me an adrenaline rush. this is just fishing in one spot. i havent gone anywhere else on the tennessee, mainly because i dont know of any other places.
[signature]
I know in that part of the tennessee they can get 30 pounds. My best was about 15lbs nothing like those big blues or flatheads but a really nice channel cat. Im just glad to see you got on some. Keep up the good post!
[signature]
yeah, saturday morning im gonna make myself get up at about 7, and go then with some nightcrawlers and livers, and hopefully ill get into some channel cats. if i get a real big one, im gonna keep him and my grandmother told me to bring it to her house and she would cook it. she said today she used to cook really good fish. i need to learn how to clean, skin, fillet, all that stuff sooner or later.
[signature]
The 1 1/2 to 3 pounders taste the best, I always let the bigger ones go. If you can find rooster liver it works a heck of alot better that chicken liver. It wont come off the hook and seems to produce more fish. But I only know of one BP around here that sells it. Keep your eyes open for it, its a great catfish bait.
[signature]
i thought an old guy on the pier reccommended that, and some of the guys on here told me that rooster livers werent harvested--or i could be completely mistaken and its something else, but i thought it was a rooster. so its a BP gas station that has em round there?
[signature]