Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help finding some materials
Hey does anyone know where to get Marine grade plywood in the SLC area. I need a piece for the back of a small aluminum fishing boat? Or would some 1 inch solid oak be better?

Majja
[signature]
No Oak wouldn't be better. There is a place on Redwood Road around 1700 S. that sells marine plywood. So you are aware it will be imported from the Philipines. They usually have some in stock but if not it takes a week or two to get what you need. I wish I could remember their name. But check in the yellow pages under hardwoods and specialty woods. That is how I found them. Hope this helps Matt.
[signature]
Oak may not be as good but Ipea, Teak or good old ACX(properly treated) will make a pretty good transom board.
Anywhere you go you would have to buy a full 4x8 sheet of maine ply, I suggest 3/4" ACX in fir, plywood with about 3 coats of marine epoxy. Seal the edges with 6 oz tape on the second coat.
You would want to epoxy the marine plywood any way so it is
1. No extra work.
2. Way cheaper, usally 2'x2' pieces can be bought.
3. You can buy the wood at Home Depot or Lowes and the Epoxy at West marine (7200 south State) or Boaters World, 23ish South State.
[signature]
Majja,
I can't help with a location, but don't use the ACX stuff. Marine plywood is a totally different thing than stuff you buy at Home Depot. The marine plywood I used to replace my transom was 3/4" thick. I had to glue two pieces together to get the 1.5" thick. The marine plywood had 17 plys with no air-voids. The ACX stuff is about 7-9 plys and has air voids. Just look at the edges when you cut it. Don't skimp and hold out for the marine grade. By the way, I paid about $80 for one 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" about 5 years ago. The stuff is expensive, but it has worked awesome.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info guys I do appreciate it.
[signature]
Would you like to see my entire boat built out of ACX? It's a drift boat that is about 20 years old now and still in great shape. It was just on the Payette this weekend in class 4 rapids. Not a piece of marine ply in the boat.

ACX will be fine, your not building a large ocean boat. The wood is really nothing more than a substrate for the fiberglass and epoxy. You want a transom board, right? ACX will be fine.

Yes it is 7 thick layers, not 15 thin layers, Yes it has voids that compromise the strength over marine ply. Marine ply is overkill.
Just be sure to seal the edges with epoxy, apply a coat of epoxy to the entire board with a wet out layer of 6 oz cloth and then a second coat of epoxy over the whole thing again, should last at least 20 years. Be sure to use Epoxy for wood boat building, not the polyester stuff.
They make boats out of foam and layers of fiberglass and epoxy that are sronger than any wooden boat ever made. That's using styrofoam as a substrate. 3/4 ACX is way stronger than styrofoam.
[signature]
I have about a 2x2 pc of Birch ply wood left over from a project I was working on. Think that would work fine.
[signature]