Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hottest bass of the year
[left][inline biggestbassofday.jpg]Been so hot to fish but I couldnt keep off the water any longer. Both were caught off finesse worms with football heads.[/left] [left][inline lakejoybass1.jpg][/left]
[signature]
[cool] Nice fish mattscru!! How were you rigged? Texas, jig, or carolina?
[signature]
Those new, well new to me footballhead finesse rigs. Thats the best new lure I've tried in awhile.
[signature]
Nice fish man. whats a football jig head?
Is like my finesse jig heads just a different name
[signature]
[inline "football finesse jigs.bmp"]
These are the jig heads I've been using with the finesse worms. The 5 inch zoom finesse worms seem to work the best in my opinion.
[signature]
Im sure their is another name for them, theyre just new to me. A guy I work with said he's been catching alot of fish off them in this heat so I figured I'd give them a try. They have been producing very well for me so far [cool]
[signature]
Way to go Matt. Nice fish and excellent presentation.

Have you seen the newer hook line up from Gamakatsu?? They have several jig heads with the worm holders like you showed in the pictures. They also have some new worm retainer technology in their other Bass hooks.[cool]
[signature]
One of those pictured says it had gamakatsu hooks. Im sure youve been fishing with these for awhile but Ive just discovered them and its a godsend. These are the only thing Ive had any real sucess in this heat. Whats the proper presentation for this set up? Ive been fishing it like a texas rig just a little slower.
[signature]
Texas rig technique is fine. I ended up painting my jig heads different colors, at least to match the colors of the worms. I tried to get as close as I could.

I also found that I like to present them with the 20 second technique. That works well with the footballs or even better with the Stand Up style jig heads.

Put your favorite color of worm on, Cast out and let it set 1st for 10 seconds. Every "20" seconds, give it a small twitch. If Bass are in the area, you are usually bit withing the first minute of the rig hitting the bottom.

One of the other dynamite plastics to use with this technique are the Brush Hogs or Beaver Tailed.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks Steve, I knew youd come through with some better technics on how to fish them. I just cant believe how productive theyve been. The stand up style seems to work for me a little better than the football type. Its just hard to cast with my curado with the 5 inch worm on the small rig. The fish have been biting almost instantly when it hits the bottom so thats why I wanted to know the best way to retrieve them. Its just kinda a new technic for this area, walmart just now started to stock them here. I guess we are behind the times when it comes to newer tackle. Ive got about 10 differant colors and sizes now but the green with red bottom seems to work the best, I tried the chartruse and I think it was actually scaring the fish. But as you know more than me the water color has alot to do with that.
[signature]
they work well for to man.
good job on the fish.
[signature]
I don't know what it is on the Chartruese either. I can only use that when it is slightly overcast and just a sliver of sun coming through the clouds. Clear or stained water is fine.

On the other hand, the lemon shad Yamamotos get bit good right at dusk. I've had Bass jump into the boat while chasing one. Go figure.[shocked][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[cool] Thanks for the information on the jig heads. I will have to get some to try. Do you use just 5" finesse or do you smaller also?
Is there a particular size that you use for the jig heads?
[signature]
I use no less than 5 inch worms or plastics unless i am using a Tube Jig. They also go nuts with the Tubes.

Brush Hawhs, Beaver Tails, Split Curly Tails and Tubes are all "Go To" plastics for this technique.[cool]
[signature]
It is very good pics.
I often see wonderful fishing pics and video on metacafe.Com , splashvision.Com, digg.Com, revver.Com.I go there a lot and I am sure the guys over there would really enjoy this one.
[signature]
Bigfishtackle has it's own photo gallery available to all members. Feel free to check it out.[cool]
[signature]