Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murdock Basin
I'm headed up there this weekend. Any useful tips would be appreciated. I prefer to use a fly rod, but I plan on at least taking a spinning rod with me. Feel free to PM me. I will provide a report when I get back. Thanks ahead of time.
[signature]
I know Broadhed meadows has a ton of brookies in it but they are generally very small. They can be caught very easily with a small dry like a size 22 or 24 with a stealthy cast. Last time i fishe dit we probably caught 40 fish but the biggest was around 10" and some down to 3". Good luck.
[signature]
Try the short hike up to Joan Lake. You get there from Echo Lake. I have found the fish to be bigger up there.
If you have a tube, take it because there is very little usable shore up there.
[signature]
I agree with DKSRenegade. Try Gem also it's just a short hike up the stream from Joan. Take a float tube and throw 1/16 ounce maribou jigs on a spinning rod. Deadly for the brooks!
[signature]
How far is joan lake from echo? id like to try my float tube up there
[signature]
It's straight west about 1/2 mile up a steep hill.
[signature]
steep hill? ok now im scared guess ill just fish someplace i can drive right up to
[signature]
P.M.sent
[signature]
i fished broadhead a few years ago. took scouts on a weeklong scout camp up there and we caught a few but found it better to travel to find bigger fish
[signature]
Yeah i know they are small, but they are fun especially when you have to sneak up on them.
[signature]
There is also a Broadhead lake up there. It's just a mile up the mountain south of Broadhead meadows. No trail. Steep. Very syeep. But there are lots of 12 -16 inch brookies in there and I've never seen anyone else there. I'm mentioning this because a little pressure would help it.
[signature]
*dusts off map*
I generally drive up and park on the southeast corner of Echo. From there, where is the trail that leads to Joan Lake? BTW, I appreciate all of the responses. Thank you.
[signature]
[reply]to each their own[/reply]

Just fyi. That should be to each "his" own, or "her" own. "Each" is singular, and "their" is plural.

OR... you can choose a SWEET signature like,

I like fish bass with hum dinger peanut butter smelly jelly mojo drop shot on Scott G2. (This might be copyrighted. I will not take any responsibility for use therof.)
[signature]
Smartarse!
[signature]
I was up at Hoover lake last month and we did really well. We were just fishing powerbait and spinners, trying to get some quick dinner. The fish were pretty good size, about 13-14 inches (not bad for uintas). We hiked in through the Fehr lake trailhead and it took us about 20-30 minutes and we passed two other fishable lakes.
I would consider parking at the Fehr lake trailhead instead of driving that rocky two hour road to Echo lake. You could be at Echo lake in less than an hour from the Fehr lake trailhead, and have tons of other fishable lakes on the way. Plus you get to hike through that beautiful country.
[signature]
Power Bait is cheating, or for people that cant catch fish[Tongue]
[signature]
P4L, it's only about 1/4 mile or less to Joan. There is a trail that follows the stream from Joan to Echo. It's steep, but very do-able.
If I can make it, you sure could!
[signature]
Actually, snagging fish is cheating. If the fish eats it, it goes on the end of my hook. When I'm camping in the Uintas and starving, I will gladly throw powerbait out to catch my dinner. I don't mess around when I'm hungry. I fished for 10 minutes, caught two fish and left the lake to eat dinner.
Don't say I don't know how to catch fish, everyone on this site KNOWS I can catch fish anywhere I go (except for Willard, some kind of curse over there). You want to talk about Cheating, how about someone that refuses to fish a river, and will not leave a boat. Trolling a rod, letting it sit there until the fish hooks itself and then you get to reel it in, WoW!! Now that's fishing!
[signature]
you might have to take me up there dale. i havent fished the unitas in 6+ years
[signature]
SOOOOOO, your calling me the cheater now?[Tongue]
[signature]