Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcasting reels
I was recently given a baitcasting reel as a gift. I haven't used one before and was wondering the pros and cons of this type of reel. What applications or situations would you use this reel in?

any help or input is appreciated

thanks
[signature]
They work great for vertical jigging.
[signature]
You can use it for most of your fishing if you so choose. I rarely use spinning rods any more, except for very light applications like drop shotting. The key to using a baitcast reel is practice, practice, practice. I prefer to purchase left hand baitcasters, because then the change over from spinning gear is not so dramatic. With the left hand model, you hold the rod and reel the same as right handed spinning gear. People that try using low quality baitcasters usually get frustrated and go back to spinning gear. Read your manual carefully about setting the tension spool and the use of any internal and external brakes. With your tension knob adjustment, put your lure on the line, then loosen the knob to where the lure slowly falls. If you are rat nesting too much, tighten the knob 1/4 turn at a time till you stop tangling. I would suggest practicing in your backyard. Hope this helps.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I've just started using them for bottom bouncing and various trolling situations. They are great for those and would be even better for vertical jigging like Kent says. Throw some fireline on it and go for it, depending on how you like to fish. Fish on!
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Hey Chef, the biggest problem with spinning reels is line twist. Just casting and reeling in a few times introduces some serious line twist with a spinning reel. With a baitcaster, the line comes off the same as it goes back on. So you can cast all day without twisting the line.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]As you know, a spinning rig is simple to cast and is ideal for light baits. While a baitcaster takes some finesse and lots of practice to minimize rat's nests. And lighter baits and casting into the wind only exacerbate the problem.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I keep both in my tool chest, since they both excel in different fishing techniques. Baitcasters are great for casting, trolling, bottom bouncing, etc. Spinning rigs are ideal for jigging, lindy rigging, live bait fishing, etc. Though there is plenty of overlap in their use.[/size][/blue]
Thanks for everyone's input, this was a great help.
[signature]