Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grouse opener 2007
The day I have been waiting for finally came this year and It was a pretty good one.
We headed up to Monte on Friday night to camp. We had some dinner and talked about the fun that would happen on the morrow. When the sun came it was like a dream come true and the hunt was on. Three of my friends met us at camp in the morning and already had three grouse that they had spotted and chased into the trees from the road. We drove to spot we wanted to hunt and began the hunt. There were six of us so we knew we would kick up something. We began pushing through the pines with no success. We pushed for about 45 minutes, hiking ridges and canyons that we have jumped grouse in the past, but nothing came off the ground. After a little drink break and some discouraging looks we decided to hike one more ridge. We began the ascent and when we reached the top the grouse hunt began. Grouse were flying everywhere! One of our guys took two out of the air while I watch as three jump up about 50 yards ahead of me. Another jumped and was taken down by another one of our guys. Once it calmed down we evaluated the situation and tried to remember where the live ones landed. We continued pushing the ridge and dumped another one.
After our long hike we headed back to the truck for some lunch. Half of the group decided to go to Woodruff and do some fishing, while me and two others (the ones that hadn't shot any) tried for some more grouse. We drove to a new spot and hiked until we couldn't hike anymore. No Grouse. Finally on our way out we spotted a ruffie from the road and chased it into the trees until my friend Justin finally dropped it. A few yards down the road he dropped another ruffie. After that we were too tired to hike anymore and called it a day. We headed over to Woodruff and were surprised to see that the other three were loading up to go home with their limits of cutts. It was a great day even though I didn't get to bag a grouse. But you can betcha I'll be out there trying again. The group ended up with nine grouse for the day and 12 Cutts with one going 18 inches. Here's the pics!
(Sorry, none of the fish)
Hookjaw
[signature]
Not a bad day, any time you can average over a grouse a person, I'd consider that a good day indeed and that many trout to boot, awesome. Last year we hiked all over the mountain and got zip, as we were leaving we saw one on the side of the road(not a main road), we got out and chased it and ended up getting two. Don't get me wrong, there have been those good years where we have limits out but it seems those years are behind me know. Thanks for the update on how opening day went for your group. WH2
[signature]
Nice job! We got 1 blue today by six bit. All we saw besides elk, deer, and a ton of moose.
[signature]
Sounds like a great grouse opener to me. Wish I could have been out[unsure]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]NICE!!! Looks like an awesome opener...too bad I had to work[crazy][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Sent ya a PM
[signature]
A couple of us got out for the opener as well. Banged a few birds out of the brush. A couple of my buddies found out that they need more practice. Another friend had never been and about had a heart attack when one jumped out right from under him; he missed that one. All in all, we ended up with a couple birds and missed many many more than that.
[signature]
Spent last Friday scouting for my moose which opens this Sat. We jumped a grundle of big blues but the hunt didn't open until Sat. I went into a different area Sat. scouting no blues but one Ruffed grouse. Did see 8 moose, 5 were bulls, one was a good bull, hopefully he hangs around until Sat. He will be a bugger to get out because it will be an uphill pack. [cool]
[signature]
I made it up to strawberry and the hunt was phenominal. My dad, brother, nephew, and my self end up with 12. And that was after me and my brother let the dogs jump a couple on the way back to the truck and didnt evan shoot because we each had our limit and we had split up from the other two.
[signature]