Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait Casters for Tossing light Jigs
Pat and Son aka (Gramps)

I used to have a little baitcaster that I bought in Florida 20 years ago. It came as part of a complete outfit. In those days you would never find anything like that up in Canada. I lost that outfit when thieves broke into my garage several years ago. I've been so busy flyfishing for the last 10 years that I am out of touch with the spinning and baitcasting scene. I used to use that outfit exclusively for jigs and my own homemade ultralight plugs. What reel are you using to toss the lighter jigs and lures? Bring me up to speed here guys.
[signature]
For the 1/16 and 1/32oz stuff I am using either my Okuma Californian reel, Shimano 500 or my Pflueger Trion.

When you get up to the 1/8oz and 1/4oz I switch over to my Okuma Alumina AL 100, Okuma V system VXLa 100, and the Okuma Aveon AE-100.

For the ultimate in finesse, I use my Okuma Helio's on the fly and spey rods that I have.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Since I am not "hooked up" with a tackle manufacturer...and since I have a cheap streak (can't justify spending a car payment on a reel)...I have shopped carefully to build my current arsenal of light baitcasters. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My Shimano Curado and Bantam 100's are probably the best made baitcasters I own at present. However, I have several Daiwas and Quantums that I got for well under $100 each that do a fine job. Two of my favorites are the Quantum Mantas I got for 50% off on a tackle shop closeout. They are under 9 oz. and can be adjusted to throw the light stuff, on light line (6# mono). Not sure if they still make them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Pflueger President line is good too, but they have jumped up there in price.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Daiwa makes a super light little baitcaster that is ideal for my kind of fishing, but is closer to a house payment in price. Out of my range until I win a lottery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to check out the light Okuma baitcasters. I have been more than happy with their lightweight spinning reels.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
two of the best for throwing light lures and light line are the original Shimano Bantam 100, the little silver reel with the wooden handle knobs. Another really good one was the Ryobi VMag 4. It was a bushing reel, but you could replace the bushings with bearings and it was wonderful. You might check someplace like Ebay, etc for them. Current products, the Abu Garcia Revo's look good, but as TubeDude said, are a bit pricy. ONE thing that might be cheaper is to take a current reel you are using and replace the main bearings with ceramics. They will make the reel run faster and smoother, you will have to learn to fine tune the cast adjustment so that it doesnot over run.
[signature]
I'm with Pat on this. I own a Bantam Curado 200, and I can launch little #2 Panther Martins with it with great accuracy and no backlash. Awesome reel for heavy and light work.[cool]

-ABT
[signature]
[reply]
For the ultimate in finesse, I use my Okuma Helio's on the fly and spey rods that I have. [/reply]
What weight do you use when employing a flyrod to toss small jigs? I cast 1/32 and smaller all the time on my flyrods. Maybe I should stick with what I know. The reason I have renewed my interest in spinning and baitcasting is that it is much more convenient to carry and rig those setups than it is to deal with a 9 and a half foot flyrod especially when fishing from the craft I choose to use. (float tube, pontoon and kayak)
[signature]
[reply]
Pat and Son aka (Gramps)

I used to have a little baitcaster that I bought in Florida 20 years ago. It came as part of a complete outfit. In those days you would never find anything like that up in Canada. I lost that outfit when thieves broke into my garage several years ago. I've been so busy flyfishing for the last 10 years that I am out of touch with the spinning and baitcasting scene. I used to use that outfit exclusively for jigs and my own homemade ultralight plugs. What reel are you using to toss the lighter jigs and lures? Bring me up to speed here guys. [/reply]
I went to Bass Pro today and they suggested Daiwa Sol and Shimano Chronarch which are both too rich for my blood. Beautiful reels though.
[signature]
If I'm going for Bass, I will use a 5wt 9'rod. When going for panfish you can use a lighter rod. A 3wt would be more sporting.

I do fish my flyswatters from a float tube with no problem.

If it works, don't fix it.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
If I'm going for Bass, I will use a 5wt 9'rod. When going for panfish you can use a lighter rod. A 3wt would be more sporting.

I do fish my flyswatters from a float tube with no problem.

If it works, don't fix it.[cool] [/reply]

I had a nice long reply which disappeared when I posted the message. All that came out was the quote. The gist of the message was how much more difficult it was to work with rigged flyrods on tubes, toons and yaks because of their unwieldy length. Spinning and casting rods are much easier to work with and I can see why most guys carry an arsenal of rods rigged and ready to go.

I was also wondering if Joni had ever found a satisfactory solution to the flyrod dilemma. I know she likes to have line and rod choices the same as I do. Whaddya say girl?
Also I wanted to tell TUBN2 how cool it was to find somebody else who's not afraid to toss jigs on a flyrod. (Pure sacriledge to a purist!)
[signature]
Hey Pat,

[size 1][#0000ff]Daiwa makes a super light little baitcaster that is ideal for my kind of fishing, but is closer to a house payment in price. Out of my range until I win a lottery.[/#0000ff] [/size]

Would that be the "Daiwa Sol" or are you talking completely crazy as in "Steez"?
[signature]
I find it nicer not to be a purist. Not only do I fish from a Tube but also from a Yak, Banks, Piers, Boats and even Zodiacs.

I use jigs on a light fly rod and flies (in a bubble fly set up) on a spinning or baitcast rod. I use flyrod techniques to deliver streamers from my spinning rod and I use spinning rod techniques to deliver a heavier fly from my fly rod.

A member or 2 doesn't agree with my style of diversity but I am an extreme angler and sometimes just do the best with what I have on hand at times.

A person needs to be open minded and willing to try different techniques in order to be more successful at times.

That might be why I now have several sponsors. I am not afraid to try something new first, instead of knocking it or swatting the idea down.[cool]
[signature]
DAIWA TD LUNA 103, 203, OR 253. THE SPOOL COMPLETELY DISENGAGES FROM THE DRIVE TRAIN MAKING IT EASY TO CAST EVEN SMALL JIGS. GREAT REELS YOU CAN'T GO WRONG. MY .02

AT
[signature]
What's happening AT?? Are you ready to go and dunk donuts??[cool]
[signature]
TN2, HEY BRO BEEN VERY BUSY AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FISH, BUT LETS GET OUT THERE SOON OR I'M GOING TO GO CRAZY, I'LL RADIO YOU NEXT COUPLE DAYS.

AT
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]A person needs to be open minded and willing to try different techniques in order to be more successful at times. [/size]
[/reply]
[size 1]TubeN2

My philosophy exactly! [/size]
[signature]
I'll throw my bft hat in on this one as well.. I have had the luck to have met and fished this guy and he is good.. very good at what he does.. I got skunked but had a blast learning some things from this guy...and his versatility and flexibility in using all that is available to him to catch those fish...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have used that combo. It is the model that is made by Shimano. It is acutally the Citica reel only they did a different anodize color for them.

The combo is good but is a little lacking for those ultra small jigs.[unsure]
[signature]
Thanks TUBEN2,

I'll probably stick with the flyrods for the rest of this season. I was at Bass Pro and picked up some very small Uncle Buck's plugs. I was flinging this little rattling plug on my 4 wt. and caught two 24 inch rainbows from the trout ponds. I'm going there tomorrow, this time with my camera. According to Murphy's Law I will likely catch nothing of significance if I bring the camera. I always get my best fish when I leave the camera at home

[url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=51826&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults"]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=51826&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults[/url].
[signature]
[black][size 3]My opinion will undoubtedly twist some folks undies, but I think that for light baits, a spinning outfit is a much better choice.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]In fact, having used both casting and spinning equipment, I often wonder what the big draw casting outfits have. I do like them for vertical jigging, and under stand use of them for heavy baits, but for small baits, give me a spinning outfit anytime. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There are some great casting reels available, but the price is out of sight. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
The fly rod should work as usual. Just don't tell the fish that you are bringing the camera and everything should work according to plan.[cool]
[signature]