Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doe permit
I drew a doe permit for the Vernal area. I am not asking for your hot spot, I was wondering if any of you have any contacts that I could call to get permission to hunt in the area.
I thought the permit was for the Deep Creek area on the west side of the state and then found out it Deep Creek-Ashley on Vernal side.
I drove up and looked around, but all the land seemed to be private.
If you any of you wouldn't mind helping out, you could send me a PM.

Thanks,

Jim
[signature]
Bob Williams is the guys last name that owns most of the property in deep creek. He owns most of the valley, getting access is probably not going to happen on his place, but there are a few areas near there that are open. I don't know what the boundries are, but if you can go up over the hill into dry fork there is plenty of public land to hunt. The bottom end of dry fork is all private, but once you get up past the pavement it all turns back into ashley national forrest and there are plenty of deer around. Right at the very top of the Saddle between deep creek and dry fork there is a horrible dirt road that goes back to the north to an area called pine ridge. There is patchy private and public along the road, but there is always tons of deer in there. Back down towards lapoint there is public land in the cedars. There deer are a little more spotty, but I'm sure you can find a doe around in there as well.
If none of this helps I would get a map from the BLM that shows what land is private and public in the area and then try to find access into those patches of public ground. There is an area north of deep creek called Little Mountain (I think). I've only ever accessed is from the Mosbey Mountain road (road to Paridise resevoir). I've elk hunted in there and always seen plenty of deer. It might be a little farther than you are willing to treck for a doe, but I know there is a bunch of public ground in that area.
Let me know what the boundries are and maybe I can help you a little more. I grew up in Vernal and am pretty familiar with that country.
[signature]
FYI, I think that whole Mosby Mountain area burned this year in that big fire up there.
[signature]
Here is a link to the area I drew out in.

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/maps/2007_antlerless/south_slope_ashley_valley-deep_creek.pdf"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/maps/2007_antlerless/south_slope_ashley_valley-deep_creek.pdf[/url]

I went up and drove around the area a month ago, I didn't have much time to talk with people though.
I start vacation next week and I hope to get up there to scout around a bit before the hunt. I will most likely throw my pontoon boat and fishing gear in and spend a bit of time in the area.

Thanks for your help and your tips.

Jim
[signature]
thats one thing i dont get. iv'e been looking into a doe permit for three years know, and when the antlerless proc comes out i look, and look for a spot that i can hunt thats not private. why hunt only bucks when all i want is the meat. if you look on the side of eny canyon road all you see is doe's laying on the side of the road, for the must part. why have they limited it to private land?
[signature]
There are alot of areas that are not private land. [Wink]
[signature]
You would think that agreements would be in place with the landowners and the DWR before the permits were offered.
These are basically depredation (sp) permits to help reduce the number of animals on their property.
I would think that more owners would want some of these animals removed to reduce the wear and tear of their property.
[signature]