Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chicken liver on treble hook?
if i put the livers on a treble hook would that make me able to cast at least a lil ways out? i have to cast out of ill be casting right into a rocky area that my tackle gets stuck in.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Simp,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Trebles won't make that much difference. Livers are kind of a delicate bait. Keeping them on a hook is more related to how you are casting than it is to the hook. Keeping the livers cold can help though. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]When fishing livers, adjust your casting technique. It is more of a lob cast than a snapping of the wrist cast or a hard launching one. Don't try to throw livers out too far. They are delicate. Also, use the least amount of weight you can get a way with for the conditions. Shorter leaders can help too. A softer rod is important for casting those kinds of baits as well.[/size][/black]
[signature]
actually, after i posted that im like well crap, why dont you just go find out for yourself, so i went out, and the livers actually stayed on very well. the fish nibbled the crap out of it, but didnt bite. i even had the bait still on the hook when i reeled in a couple of times.
[signature]
alright, ive successfully fished chicken livers, and by successfully i mean they've stayed on the hook after i cast/lobbed out. they didn't do squat. guy next to me was catchin cats. so i guess its back to the times before i caught my first cat, where everyone catches em but me. i really need to find a new fishing spot to go on the weekends, but i dont know of any places round here, and i really dont wanna pay and have a limit of how many fish i can catch or anything. thats no fun to me.
[signature]
Hey man.
I had the same problem you did, this is what i did.

i went and asked my girl friend for a old pair of pantie hoses. I know that sounds odd but it works. cut them up and put you bait in it. sow it up so that it is like a ball and you cast away [Smile]. some times freezing your bait helps to.

good luck
[signature]
Ask the wife for a pair of pantyhose. Wear them to your spot. Other anglers think your wierd and relocate. Have no other lines to bite, and it no longer matters what you use for bait..[Tongue]
[signature]
hahahahhahahahahaha. only flaw is im not married. nor do i have a girlfriend.
[signature]
[Wink] I had the same problem, keeping chicken liver on my treble hook. I found some fine mesh at a craft shop, something like they put rice in at weddings. I cut them into two inch squares, wrapped that around the treble hook and secured it with a rubber band. It keeps the liver on plus lets the scent leak out, attracting the catfish.
Works for me, John in Aurora, Co.
[signature]
ahh well screw it, im done for the year. the cats arent biting, and im sick of bream. so im gonna let it go til next spring and start fishin the shallows with shrimp
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Simp,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Let me give you a little help here. I grew up just a little north of where you are. Here's a small bit of info for you. The Blue Catfish bite is better in colder water. They don't hibernate in the winter. When the water temperature is somewhere in the 34-40 degree range, Big Blues are looking for eats. Some of the best Blue catfishing happens when it is cold. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]You may have to look in different places now, but, The best Blue bite is not over, it is just about to begin.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Go to a specialized bait store and ask for a liver hook. Yes a liver hook. They are a treble hook with a spring around the center. That will fix you up good. expensive hooks. I payed 2.95 for 2 hooks up where I live.
[signature]
hey fishhound, first of all, thanks for that info, i was unaware of it. do you know about when the biting starts really happening? or is it just dependent on how cold the water is? could i stick a thermometer in the water to tell how good the bite is gonna be?

and santaaa bro, that price scares me lol. $3 to most likely get lost? yikes!
[signature]
I have just started using a cheese dip bait for catfish in the lake near my house. Works pretty good kinda messy tho.

Also the chicken liver dough balls i found at bass pro have proved effective. I found using 1 hook for a dough ball then 1 or 2 hooks for a nightcrawler works the best.
[signature]
wrap the liver with red thread on the hook, you can flat throw it like a rock. Beef liver works very well also and it stays on the hook better. Try shrimp and crawdads or squid. these all catch fish.
[signature]
So when u put the bait in pantie hose how do u hook it on the hook?
[signature]
[reply]
wrap the liver with red thread on the hook, you can flat throw it like a rock. Beef liver works very well also and it stays on the hook better. Try shrimp and crawdads or squid. these all catch fish. [/reply]

I have tried the beef liver with good results at times and terrible on others. It is true it stays on the hook better. Try putting some garlic salt or vanilla and see how that goes. Beef liver is not as stinky as chicken liver, a good thing for me.

I did the thread thing with chicken liver also and that does work pretty well also.
[signature]
I used the pantie hose trick n didn't get a bite, i also didn't get a bite on worms, or live minnows
[signature]
You must not have been on the fish.
[signature]
Thank you for stating the obvious
[signature]
It's all about method. Take your chicken livers and stick them in the freezer the night before and freeze them hard. keep them frozen through the fishing trip, and stick them on the hook frozen. They will remain on the hook, regardless of how hard you cast. they thaw once they've rested safely on the bottom and give off a controled chum slick. Very deadly tactic, especially when you're stuck casting from a dock or the bank.
[signature]