Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorful Day on Jordanelle 9-12-07
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I are planning to head out for Idaho early Friday. Got most of the planning and packing under control, and I cain't abide sittin' around the house when it is purty and calm. TubeBabe couldn't break free, though, so (natcherly) I loaded up the car and made a quick solo trip to Jordanelle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temp was 45 and water temp was 65 when I launched about 6:30. There was a light south breeze blowing right in on the PWC ramp, but nothing serious. It came and went all morning and never got to the popcorn stage. Seemed to help the fishing whenever it came up a bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]WOW! The water has really dropped since we were last there, about two weeks ago. Of course that changes everything with the fishing. Had to look for them all over again. No gimmes. I thought my sonar was broken for awhile. No marks anywhere from shallow to deep within 50 yards of the ramp. Unusual.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I figured there would be some early trout on top. Fished a bubble and fly. Zip. Same for a spinner. Only a couple of bitty perch. Started working through the tried and true plastics and painted body jigs. Lots of action...but all bitsy perchies. A couple of smalettes. No trout.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After working the previously good spots thoroughly, without anything in the basket to show for it, I moved west toward the corner, where the little creek comes in. More dinky perchies. Got to watch a master angler at work. A blue heron was fishing inside a pool that had been cut off from the main lake. Evidently there were a lot of trapped perch fry because that heron was striking often and always came up with the groceries in his lips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked slowly and methodically along the brushy west bank. Again, nothing but dinkies. Lots of them. Heard a noise and looked up to see a deer sneaking through the washed up branches along the shoreline. She posed for a picture and continued up into the trees. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was hard to concentrate on the fishing with all of the pretty new colored leaves on the hillsides above the lake. Still not in full color, but still worth devoting some attention to.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the time I rounded the point into the "quarry" area, I put on one of my jig spinner spinner baits. It is a larger profile and has flash and vibration. Thought maybe it would attract a larger class of fish and discourage the little ones. Yeah, right. I was still getting "rattled" to pieces on every cast, from the little fish, but only hooked larger ones. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This area is one of my "honey holes". With lots of rocks, and a long shallow point, it usually attracts and holds some fish. It is not a secret spot, but it should be. It usually produces...for savvy anglers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About 10 AM it was like somebody flipped the switch. Fishing the same spot, the same way but now the fish started getting bigger and feistier. That was okay with me. I got several decent perch in short order, and a couple of footlong smallies. But, I kept missing some good hits on the spinner bait so I went to smaller single offerings. The pale perch color combo seemed to be best. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big surprise? The quality fish were in only 7 - 10 feet of water...with most of my bigger ones coming from about 8 feet. When I was right over a school, I hardly did more than dip the jig a rod length straight down and instant action. I had several sessions of ten or more fish within a minute. Of course most of them were not large enough for the basket. I tried to keep only the 10 inch or larger. I tossed a lot of fat nine inchers back into the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was some structure in the shallow water. I did break off a few jigs. But, every time I broke off a producing lure, I tied on a different one...just to see how many they would accept. I didn't find anything they wouldn't hit, but the pale perch pattern...in the painted body jigs...got hit faster and harder than almost anything else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Right in with the perch, in shallow water, were some small but willing smallies. I probably got 20 or so, from 8" to 14". All by accident, while fishing for perch. I wonder what I could do if I got serial.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The "hot bite" lasted about 2 hours and then things slowed down a bit. That's when the south breeze got stronger too. Since I had not yet eaten my sandwich, I tossed out a spinner behind the tube and started kick-trolling back the half mile to the ramp. My sandwich was interrupted three times by hard smacks on that spinner. One of them turned out to be a feisty 14" rainbow that fought 3 times harder than its size. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I got back to the north side of the PWC area, I once again got into a grundle of dinks. No patience with them. Decided to bag it. Two folks fishing on the bank near the ramp complained they had fished all morning without even one bite. I waved my magic hands over the water and BAM...the lady tanglerette went bendo. She claimed it was probably a perch, but the action on the rod tip said otherwise. She was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a nice 16" rainbow. She kept it in the water and released it like a pro. That done, they packed up and hiked back up the hill.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very nice, Pat! I'm so jealous. Great pics of the hills and wildlife. I'm glad you got your trout.

Do those hand-painted jigs usually get the attention of troutskis more than not? Sometimes I don't know what best to use, because I know that love the spinners sometimes. Like you always say, it's best to try different things because you never know what they prefer on any given day.

Great pics like always, my friend!

D
[signature]
Nice report Pat. I know that area and it looks like it has droped since Sunday. I launched not too far from where your feathered friend was dining. Only it was still under water. Packed the tube about 100 yards from the tent campground. I bet you now know just where I was LOL.

Looks like the red spinner was doing it for you also. Just an amazing color and the reaction it gets.

Well I'll be in Idaho tomorrow and Friday (St. Charles). I think I'll hit the Bear Friday am. Going to be a 1st for me. Getting paid to fish by my boss. I might get to like this new project!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We catch a LOT of trout on the little jigs, usually while we are fishing for perch...or WHATEVER. We ain't proud. All the fish hit them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, the spinners I use are all "homemade" too. I custom paint and glitter all of the spinner blades and use all kinds of fancy beads and dressed hooks on them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]See attached.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice! I got hungry just thinking about the fish in your basket.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Got lots of votes for the red glitter RR today. In addition to the fish I reported, I lost a huge smallmouth on it...to the shoreline "structure". Know what I mean? I also fought a big brown...about 26"...for maybe fifteen minutes before he got tired of playing and gave me the jig back. The plastic was in tatters but the red head was without a scratch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just finished epoxying a whole "round" (margarine container) or those red rascals. I shall never henceforth leave home without them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Wellllllll...everyone to their own tastes. I prefer them OUT of the basket, filleted and properly cooked.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Enjoyed your report. Those fall colors are spectacular.

[cool]Could I get you to fly out here and wave your magic hands over a couple of spots I fish?

z~
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"OUT of the basket, filleted and properly cooked..."[/size][/#0000ff]

This is why I read the board... I learn something new every day. I was wondering why I couldn't get my kids to eat the fish I catch. [Wink]
[signature]
I did also the other day while fisihng with Mr. Down Under. I had the oposite problem, It was the bigger fish (I think) that I was missing. The little ones just swallowed everything! Who knew a 2 inch perchette had a 3 inch mouth. But there are some big fish playin in that neighborhood.
[signature]
If you were going to aquire some medium to large chubs for Deer Creek walleye, where on Jordanelle would you go ????
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]About the only chubs you can find on Jordanelle anymore are the biggies...over ten inches and up to fourteen inches. They are too big for walleyes. The predators are keeping the small chubs thinned out...like at Strawberry and Starvation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you need some chubs, PM me. I have a good supply...or we can make a speed run to my source with my cast net.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very nice as usual Pat. I'm just gettin back and finally have a minute to read some posts.

[cool] I knew where to find the good ones!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you made it back okay. Hope the trip was productive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am leaving tomorrow for a few days in Idaho. But, by the time I get back the fishing should be getting gooder and gooder. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Have your peeps contact my peeps and we will hit the water somewhere. The kitties are still active at Willard and both the wipers and wallies should be coming shallow soon too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Will do. I think I am gonna need to learn to cast again... LOL

BTW, visited the Bass Pro Shops in Charlotte. Had a special on Silver Thread. $2.99 for a 300 yard spool. I stocked up. [Tongue]
[signature]
Great report as usual Pat.
Wow, your colors have broken early in Utah. Here I haven't seen any yet.
As for that dishonest Smallie ... c'mon ... we all know you photoshopped it bigger. It was actualy 2", wasn't it? ADMITT IT!![Tongue]

-ABT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We have a lot of "scrub oak" on the hillsides here in Utah. It begins turning orange even before the first real frosts set in. I think it is a matter of decreasing hours of daylight. Most of our other colorful trees do not change until it gets cold. The first couple of weeks in October is generally the best time to drive the back roads for "photo ops"[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I should have known you would see through my feeble attempts at photoshopping the bass picture. Just can't get anything past a sharp guy like yourself.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am still waiting for a time and date when we can go get some of those minnows.
[signature]
[cool]Nice job, Pat. That sounds like one awesome solo day out at the beautiful big 'ol Lake X. Too bad that big brown and smallie gave you your jig back, but I guess that's better than them taking it and several yards of line off back down into the great blue, eh? Those jigs you were using look killer. Was that one pale body perch made with a darthead mold? I've gotta get one of those after I get some time to get serious about jigmaking again and can get my melting pot fixed at your place.

Anyway, hope the trip to Idaho is enjoyable, successful, and safe. Look forward to the return report...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "plungers" are made by flattening heads from a spearpoint mold. Here's a pic of what they look like just out of the mold and then after flattening.[/#0000ff]
[signature]