Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine question help!!
My evinrude trolling engine will not start .It acts like its going to but doesnt.I changed the plugs and there is gas going in the carburetor. Anyone dealt with this problem before.I am headed to strawberry tomorrow morning and would like to get my trolling engine running if i can.If anyone goes you will know were i am i am the one thats going to be yelling if i cant get my motor running!! [Tongue] At least my i can troll with my big engine for a bit.
[signature]
Check the coils, My little 6 hp Johnson would give me a lot of problems with starting , and then it would just stop. Started checking everything and found a bad coil. Also check your points, should be located under the flywheel. Hope this helps.

AFDan52
[signature]
[black][size 3]We have gone through this problem/complaint several times lately. First place to start is check the bulb between the tank and engine to see if it retains a "full pump". If it doesn't, this would indicate that there is air getting into the line.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The usual cure has been bad adjustment of the carb. or a required rebuild of the carb. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Altitude can also have an effect on the way it starts and operates.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Ok i dont know anything about engines.So what do the coils look like and were are they located? This happened to me last time i went out it just died on me but it started ok.
[signature]
The coils are located under the flywheel, you have to pull off he flywheel to get at them. All of the ignition parts are under there. What year and hp is your Evenrude?

AFDan52
[signature]
Ok i am not going to mess with that especially tonite! [shocked] i am pretty sure its a 1978 .Its also a 8hp. I twas hoping it was something pretty simple not! [Tongue] Oh well gonna have to have someone look at it and you know what that means !![pirate] Thanks for the advice .[Smile]
[signature]
If your fuel is old, last year, start with freah and add a can of sea foam to the tank. Start the motor with a little starting fluid and see if it will run and then if it does, run it at high end rpm's for several minutes to clean the junk out of the carb.
Always add gas stabilizer to every tank of fuel, because you never know how long the fuel will set before it's used up.
Hope this helps.
[signature]
Fuel is not old . I use sea foam on everything from our bikes to my boat and my auger that stuff is awesome! I ran sea foam on both my engines this spring and they ran perfect till the last time i used it. But thats an idea i will stop and get starting fluid and see if that gets her going thanks!![Smile]
[signature]
If your motor is a 2-stroke, it is not a good idea to use starting fluid in it.The Starting fluid will clean out all of the lubrication in the carb and could do some damage. Those motors depend on that oil in the fuel. I would still check the ignition system. my motore has 2 coils and one was bad, thats all it took.
The fuel system clould be part of the problem , but I would be checking that Ignition. JMHO.

AFDan52
[signature]
First check the hose as was stated above. Take a good look at the O rings on each end too.
Next, check the fuel pump, Disconnect the line from the carb and pull the cord, it should pump fuel out way faster than you think it has to. (create pressure on carb needle valve). Pump is on R side, follow the fuel line from the carb back.
Remove the spark plugs and ground them against the block, pull the cord, you should see a bright blue spark, if the spark looks weak but is still there, it's probably the coils or points.

To check the points there should be an inspection port (hole) in the flywheel that if you rotate the wheel slowly will allow access to the points. Check for proper gap and excessive wear or burning of the contacts. Points can usally be replaced without removing the flywheel. Use a magnetic screw driver so you don't drop any screws. If you drop a screw, you'll have to pull the flywheel to get it back. Still not a bright blue spark? Coils are next.
To remove the coil, you need to have a wheel puller to remove the flywheel. I have beat them off with a hammer and block of wood, but that was a field emergency. After the wheel is pulled you'll see the coils, They are easy out, easy in.
While you have the flywheel off clean it out good and slightly polish the flywheel contacts with emery cloth to remove any film of rust. Wipe clean and reassemble.
Still won't run well? Take it up to Lee's in Hyrum, tell him what you've already done and see what he can do for you.
[signature]
Troll has give'n you some great advice, do what he said and things should be better. if the motor runs some times, runs good at times and misses at other times, check the fuel line REAL good, replace the o-rings if it has them. if the motor runs better in the cold and not in the heat check the coils and switch box if your motor has a switch box. hope this helps you get back on the water. later chuck
[signature]
All I have done is go through a proces of checking thing things from simpleist and cheapest to more difficult but tryable and more expensive.
I think anyone who buys any motor should invest in the manual for that motor. It has all kinds of important information about the motor and how to maintain and repair it. It's still up to you to decide what to try and what to take to Lee's.
For me, all of this is tryable, (is that even a word), I have a set of sockets and wrentches up to 1", a couple of big cresents for the big stuff, some screwdrivers and pliers for clamps and such, a couple of mallets. The fly wheel is the perfect place to use a Harbor Freight wheel puller, It only has to work once.
Don't be afraid to replace things, O rings, should be replaces every couple of years, easy and a couple of bucks, Impellers, lube replacement, all easy enough to try.

Lowcompression in 1 cylinder, water and choclate colored oil in the lower unit and things like that are best left to professionals.
[signature]
on my 49' champion 7.5 i have a float needle valve in the bulb under my carb. I did have to take the needle out and clean goo out of the tiny holes that let the gas/oil mix into the carb. it was just like taking apart the one on my snow blower a few years ago...one nut and the whole bulb, float deal popped right off spilled about 1/4 cup of gas, but it wasnt bad...do it with plenty of ventialtion... i would look at easy stuff like that first on a older motor, you never know what went on with it BEFORE you got it.
[signature]