Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Day for Oregon Trout Fishing - 9/17/07
What a difference a week makes! Last Monday we had a 95 degree scorcher that drove the trout down to sulk on the bottom. Surface temp was 72 degrees. Fishing results showed it. Today we had pleasant, mostly cloudy weather with a surface temp of 61. Trout were happy for the change - and almost suicidal in the low light conditions. Action started right at my arrival on the water at noon at my favorite trout lake near Portland, Oregon. First pic is a good representation of the dark day. The fish loved it.

[inline sept-1a.jpg]

[inline sept-2a.jpg]

[inline sept-3a.jpg]

[inline sept-4a.jpg]

[inline sept-5a.jpg]

[inline sept-7a.jpg]

Fish were consistently 16-19 inches. Fat, chunky rainbows in good health and hungry as bears just out of hibernation.

[inline sept-8a.jpg]

[inline sept-9a.jpg]

[inline sept-10a.jpg]

[inline sept-11a.jpg]

[inline sept-12a.jpg]

[inline sept-14a.jpg]

[inline sept-15a.jpg]

As a testimony to the change of the season, this summertime bug hitched a ride on my tube when the damp air became too much to keep his helicopter wings flapping. He stayed with me until I went ashore.

[inline sept-16a.jpg]

Trout continued to cooperate in a big way.

[inline sept-17a.jpg]

[inline sept-18a.jpg]

The fly selection wasn't at all complicated. Seal buggers early and chironomids later when a few started showing on the surface.

[inline sept-19a.jpg]

[inline sept-20a.jpg]

[inline sept-21a.jpg]

I hit the docks early. 5 PM and I called it a day with plenty of daylight left to stow my stuff and make the two hour drive home. Since my buggy friend was so faithful in hanging onto the tube, I gave him a nice resting spot to see out the remainder of his days. Made a pretty picture.

[inline sept-22a.jpg]

What a wonderful day on the water!
Final score was:

zonker - 15
trout - 0

z~

[signature]
...now I am jealous.. [sly]

great story and pics.. those look like some good sized healthy fish that I am betting put up a good fight..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Mac,

I used a little 4 weight part of the time. They nearly bent it double.

z~
[signature]
...now that would be a blast... especially in a tube (from what Ive been told anyway...lol.)

MacFly
[signature]
Wow you can count me in with jealous crowd. Great pics thanks for sharing.[cool]
[signature]
Way to go Uncle Z. Nice looking fishies from the Tubie. Ooooops! I thought I was talking to my new Grandson.

I noticed that the Helicopter friend of yours makes some pretty good Bass bait.[Wink]
[signature]
helicopter friend?? ..are you speaking of that dragon fly?? you know I had to ask.. [sly]
[signature]
Now I am convinced that you are my brother. You catch on quickly.[cool]
[signature]
... have to admit that we do think alike at times.. and yes.. that is a scary thought...[sly]... wonder what sis would say if she saw this post... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I hope we didn't totally hi jack the post.

Lil ole Sis would be more than happy just to know that she has and Uncle Z in Oregon.

He is cool. He fly fishes and Float tubes. He has all the family traits.[cool]
[signature]
...I think the "damage" of the "sidetrack" is minimal. but I am betting sis would be jumping in with her comments in a heartbeat.. [sly].. times like this I do wish she was here and not on that trip.. but I am betting (again) that she is having a great in Idaho.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
OK you guys. I give up. "Sis" is who? Whose related around here? I know I'm everybody's uncle but I'm not talking about that.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hi all. Just got back from Idaho.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Great post Z. And excellent pictorial backup as well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Flygoddess...Joni...is the "sis" being referred to. Inside joke. You probably missed a lot of the leadup during your "fall from grace" on this board. Welcome back and try to keep up, will ya?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Joni is not responding on this post because she is probably out of state. I got a PM from Mojo (her husband) that her mother died over the weekend. I am sure she is otherwise occupied. Our condolences.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Welcome back TD.

Very sorry to hear of Joni's loss. That's a tough one. My condolences to Flygoddess, MacFly, and Mojo.

I tried to throw up as many pictures as I could so that your short absence wouldn't be so keenly felt. But now you need to tell us all about your trip and fishing.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Are you familiar with the saying..."Be careful what you ask for...."? I have spent all morning editing pictures and am now writing reports on three separate waters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be posting enough words and pictures to keep you off the streets for a little while, anyway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Be patient, my brother.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Can't wait....

z~
[signature]
...I have to agree with you here "Z' since I am sure it will be a great report with pictures to back it up.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]