Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Tube, Toon, or Boat--That is the Question
Hello,

I've been a BFTer now for a couple of years and have joined a few of you from time to time on the water. In all that time, I've owned a rather tippy, shallow, and narrow 14-foot aluminum boat and motor. Well, I just sold the pair about a month ago and received a fair price for them.

Here's my head-scratcher: I put the money in savings and want to upgrade my fishing vehicle, but first and foremost I want to purchase something (or somethings) to ensure that my kids continue to enjoy fishing with me.

TubeDude let me take a ride in one of his tubes once--the Babe's Fat Cat, while she was out of town--and I've never enjoyed fishing so much.

My kids, however, were really quite Sad to see the old boat go. I have four kids--ages 10, 8, 5, and nearly 2. The 10- and 8-year-olds (both boys) are the ones who usually join me. I either want to purchase a bit deeper, wider, and more stable 16-foot aluminum and motor, or I'm also entertaining the possibility of purchasing three tubes or toons, or any combination of the three.

If I purchased a nice 16-foot boat with motor, I would probably still be spending less money if I bought myself a nice tube or toon and bought my two growing sons entry-level models.

Before I make my next big fishing purchase (or purchases) I would like to hear some of your thoughts, especially those of you who have kids who love to fish with you. I likely won't be purchasing the items until early next spring, but I keep checking KSL and eBay for deals, if something good arises.

Thanks in advance to those of you willing to contribute.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I'll give you my personal opinion on this choice. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you want to keep the kids fishing with you, I would get the boat. I personally don't think that they are old enough yet to use a toon or tube. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Even though we toon and tube as groups, it is really use of a watercraft by an individual. (would you turn your kids loose in a boat by themselves?) [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have seen "kids" using toons and tubes with their parents, and have noticed that it is mostly a game of baby sitting. Wearing life vests, waders, flippers, along with keeping control of a rod and baits, is more than most kids can handle.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]This is just my personal opinion, and I'm sure that others will comment on this subject.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]That is a tough one to answer, but here is what I do. [/font][/size][font "Calibri"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Calibri"][size 3]My two oldest kids are 10 and 8. They have both gone tubing with me. I have an ODC 420 and an older Original U-Boat. I use the ODC and the kids take turns coming with me and use the U-Boat. I agree with Saberfish that the kids are too young to handle the tube on their own. So I don’t have them wear fins and tie the U-Boat to my tube with 15-20ft of rope. I just tow them around and use the rope to pull myself over to them when they need help landing a fish or tying on new lures. Sometimes we just pull up to each other and fish side by side.[/size][/font]

[font "Calibri"][size 3]It is not ideal to tow someone else around. I don’t kick around and cover anywhere near as much water as when I am alone. It does however give me an opportunity to fish with one-on-one with of my kids and the trip is supposed to be about them anyway.[/size][/font]

[font "Calibri"][size 3]The U-Boat is not ideal for a child either. I think it is better than a donut style tube, but they still sit too low in the water and not on top of the water like a Fish Cat or ODC 420. The last trip out was with my tall for her age 8 year old daughter and by the end of the trip her waders were full of water. I have acquired some non-absorbent foam and I am in the process of making a thick seat cushion that will get them out of the water.[/size][/font]

[font "Calibri"][size 3]Even if I had an extra tube, I wouldn’t take both kids out with me. My 10 year old and 8 year old are too young to handle a tube on their own (especially if the wind kicks up), and I don’t want to tow 2 tubes. Luckily my Dad has a 21ft boat, and that is how we fish as a family. From the boat we also usually troll, which is an easier style of fishing for my kids anyway.[/size][/font]

[font "Calibri"][size 3]Both kids really like the tube though (and they will like it even better with the new seat). They have done a lot of boat fishing and it is a new and fun experience for them.[/size][/font]

[font "Calibri"][size 3]Bottom line… If I want to fish with all the kids (10, 8, and 4) we go in the boat. If I want to spend one-on-one time with one of the older ones, we take the tubes. For me personally… I prefer my tube over the boat.[/size][/font]

[inline "8 year old.jpg"]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You already realize that there is no simple answer...and no "one size fits all" solution. You have already received some good input. I agree that with young kids you would be better with the boat...for awhile...if it is a boat or nothing. But, I would also recommend that you DO get yourself a tube. There will be times you want to hit the water without taking the boat and without being limited to banking or wading. Tubes get the job done. And, they are hands free fishing, so you do not have to work too hard for your enjoys.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As soon as the boys are READY for tubes...in terms of physical ability and fishing skills...you can get them one at a time. But, to put any youngster in a tube before they can operate it safely and efficiently...in all conditions...is an invitation to frustration (yours) and potential disaster (theirs). If the weather is nice they will have fun playing in the water. But, if the weather is sloppy and the fish are not cooperating, you will have to cut your own trip short. Better to be selfish and safe than to compromise your own fishing just so the kids can play in the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have to stay within a specific budget, and there is not room for both boat and tube, then go for the boat until the boys are at least well developed teeners. It is great to do all things as a family, but some things can wait.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My four kids are all grown and I'm going through the grandkids now. Though I have a 14 foot boat, several canoes, and tubes enough to go around, I've observed that they all like the boat much better. I prefer to fish from the tube. However, when I have more than one of the kids, I take the boat out. Yes, it makes my own fishing more difficult. In fact, if I take out anyone but the oldest I figure that the purpose of the trip is primarily for the kids and not me. If I do manage some good fishing, that's great, of course, but that doesn't often happen with the kids along. Then again, I've caught thousands of fish and these days I get great joy out of watching them discover the things that originally hooked me. The slant of a grandpa, I guess.

These things said, can a family have enjoyment with float tubes? Yes, indeed. But in my opinion, if you have to choose one over the other, the boat is the best choice.

I'm with Tubedude, though. Get a tube for yourself. You probably won't always be fishing with the kids.

z~
[signature]
It looks like you've got great input from TD and others...

I would definately get the boat. Especially since your kids are still young. You won't regret the memories.

I have a pontoon but there have been several times I leave it in the garage just for the sake of being with my kids- even though it's just fishing on the bank.

Before you know it, they'll be all grown up.
[signature]
The boat is an excellent idea to start. It seems to be the unanymous opinion.

Your first tube should also be something that you will be proud to hand down as you end up doing an upgrade yourself.

Once the little ones are a little bigger and gain independance, they will maintian that close contact with you even as you start taking them out to Tube. It is a whole different way to bond.[cool]
[signature]
Well like all has been said get the boat. As a matter of fact I just received a small 12' al. so that I can take my daughter out. But by no means is that replacing my tube. Not to sound like a broken record, I would get both if at all possible. get yourself a tube and a little more stable boat.

Majja
[signature]
Hey thanks everyone for your input. It's funny how much your thoughts have mirrored my own.

I've been thinking: a) it would be a lot of hassle to keep two young boys untangled and baited and unsnagged, etc. (even though they are decent little fishermen) if there were three of us in tubes, b) there is the safety issue if they happened to puncture a tube or if the wind really kicked up, etc., and I had three tubes to see safely off the water and not just my own (though they would be in life vests), and c) they really liked the old boat and would probably enjoy a newer, bigger boat even more if I purchased one that provided more comfort and room for them to roam around a bit.

Plus, there have been those times when the fishing has died down or they've tired of catching fish and they've asked that I crank up the motor for go for a spin on the water we're fishing. There's something about speed and feeling the wind in the hair that kids like.

That said, I will see if on top of the boat budget I could include a little financial wiggle room for a tube. There have been too many times when TubeDude and others have opened the invitation to fish a certain water and I've not participated due to the thinking I wouldn't fit in with my boat. I'll definitely have to make the tube purchase a reality.

Thanks again for your collective input. It helped me in my decision.
[signature]
Hi PF. Well I have a boat, had a toon, have a tube.

I also have children older as they are getting they still favor their dad with an occasional fishig trip.

Personally I would go for the tubes. Buy yourself something you will/can live with. Pick up some *used* floats for the kids. That will allow you some extra cash for the proper fitting life jackets those youngsters willbe needing. Nothing I mean nothong can compre to flost fishing. My boat hasn't seen water in over a year. I think it is time to sell it. Toon fishing is pretty great also. The learning curve takes time. It is different from tubing, but just as enjoyable. The only downside to tooning was the weight of the toon. I pack in to a few places here in Wasatch and the toon was just to heavy to pack very far. But tubes can be packed a ways (depending on how much gear ya put on them).

I recently picked up a pair of Trout Unlimited U-Boats for 20 bucks. I have loaned them to a couple of friends and gave my son one. They all seemed to enjoy them very much.

I say go for the tubes, ...... But then I am partial to them.
[signature]
[reply]
... Nothing I mean nothong can compre to float fishing. My boat hasn't seen water in over a year. I think it is time to sell it. [/reply]

Road: I have to say I fully agree with you.
A float tube is just so aesthetically "right".

For the younger kids I am biased towards a boat ... keeps Dad nearby to sort out tangles, tie knots, bait up, etc.

My own kids really enjoyed boating when they were little.
Come age 10 - 12 and the tube begins to look more adventurous, just when "teenage" kicks in, and time with Dad might be seen as "uncool" or "boring". A tube gets rid of all that, and the day is full of adventure again.

I suppose it depends a lot on the personal ability/confidence of the children themselves, and the confidence their parents have, and the freedom that seems wise to allow, given the always present water based dangers we deal with while we enjoy our leisure.
[signature]
Hi IFT I can agree with you on the kiddies in the boat and dad needing to be close at hand. I have raised 5 of them. When they were little I didn't even try and fish. I spent all my time tying on hooks, baiting them, untangling lines, and the list goes on from there.

But by age ten they were all able to do that for them selves, even my daughters could tie on a hook and bait there own lines. Not that they ever liked sticking those wiggly worms!

As far as the water hazards that we ALL encounter. That is why I suggested the U-Boat style. Easy to get into but once there you still have a closed chamber. A bit of added safety for the youngsters. What build your confidence more than being able to do something on your own?

I went through the protectiive father thing. I would do it again mind you, I all so decided thatmy children should be able to think and act freely. Mind you please that a parent is always a parent and there were always limitaion to that.
But I know have thre of the five who are frealess in life. By that I mean they are not afaird to take chances on things they believe in or would like to try. Failure is OK because you cannot succeed until you learn to fail. with allof that theyhave some serious common sense, well all but one does. My youngest thinks he is indistructable and will live for ever. But has taken to wearing proper riding gear (helmet,gloves,shin gaurds, ect)when he takes his bike on downhill treks now. But I ramble on too much I think I need to go fishing!!
I say let your children grow and watch over them. Nothing will be greater for either dad or the kids than a good fishing trip each doing it ther way.
[signature]
I don't have any small ones, but I would want the BEST of the tubes if I did (for their safety).
I too have many Tubes, Toons and even Tube/toons and we talk every out of getting a Porta Boat.
Boats do have definite advantages. Bigger motors to get to fishing spots and to get off the water faster if needed. Plus doesn't matter how cold the water is.
We talk all the time about a boat, pull our tubes to a spot and then climb in and fish. Example, at Henry's Lake the fish will travel a lot and you cannot cover all the hot spots from a tube, or toon.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Our condolences.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you. At least this keeps my mind busy.
[signature]
[Smile]
[signature]