Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the wake of the U.S. Coast Guards interest in federally-mandated boater education
[size 1]In the wake of the U.S. Coast Guard's interest in federally-mandated boater education, Boat Owners Association of The United States recently conducted an online survey to gauge member opinion on this issue as well as to determine whether boaters should be required to carry a separate ID card/license for national security purposes.

Based on the first 25,000 responding, 61% favored mandatory education for all boaters as long as an exam substitute was an option. An additional 9% were even more strongly in favor saying that no exam substitute should be allowed. The survey was sent to 325,000 of the Association's 650,000 members for whom it has an e-mail address.

"The bottom line is that BoatU.S. members believe that recreational boaters should complete some type of instruction, be tested and certified to ensure that they have the knowledge to properly operate a boat," said BoatU.S. President Nancy Michelman.

On the issue of being required to carry an ID card, while 75% had no problem with being asked to produce a state driver's license or passport if requested by law enforcement, over half disagreed with being required to carry a separate boater ID card/license.

"It is fair to say that boaters want to be treated no differently than any motorist or aircraft passenger required to produce a current photo ID," noted Michelman.

Survey results indicate that BoatU.S. members have a considerable amount of boating experience. Most have been boating for more than 20 years. 68% percent had taken a boating safety course taught in a classroom, 19% had taken a safety class on the water, 19% had taken a class at home and 19% had taken a course online. "Based on these results it is clear to us that we need a diversity of boating safety course formats," said Michelman.

BoatU.S. - Boat Owners Association of The United States - is the nation's leading advocate for recreational boaters providing its 650,000 members with a wide array of consumer services including a group-rate marine insurance program that insures nearly a quarter million boats; the largest fleet of more than 500 towing assistance vessels; discounts on fuel, slips, and repairs at over 870 Cooperating Marinas; boat financing; and a subscription to BoatU.S. Magazine, the most widely read boating publication in the U.S. For membership information visit http://www.BoatUS.com or call 800-395-2628. [/size]
[signature]
It doesnt sound like a bad idea, I just think that the only ones that should be req. to take the exam are the individules regestering the watercraft and they should be req. to educate the people that use their boat so that if it is use inproperly then owner can be held acountable.[cool]
[signature]
It dose sound like a great idea, I'm in favor of it. but the only thing is, it's another way form them to take our fishing money. but I do like it, maybe it would help save people from drowning if they had more of an idea of how to handle a boat in wind /waves.
later chuck
[signature]
I think boater education is a great idea.. I think GOVERNMENT MANDATED EDUCATION is a horrible idea... think about this guys... the question should not be whether it is a good idea to get the education but whether the government can and should force the education... I think the government has enough power as it is... AJ
[signature]
Before I took out my first boat I completed the coast guide boating course. Requiring boaters to be trained seems like a reasonable requirement.
[signature]
Where can you take this Boaters coarse at? I have never heard of it. The AF made me take the Motorcycle Safety course before I could drive on base So I am surprised the didn't make me do it for the boat.
[signature]
I don't recall how I found about it, but I took the course in SLC. You drive a boat onto the AF base?
[signature]
Well what I was trying to say was the AF makes us doo all kinds of stupid stuff for just about everything. I need to have a safety briefing and be on file wit hmy commander if I snowboard or other "extreme" activities. Thats why I said I was suprised it wasn't mandatory for me to take this class.
[signature]