Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What? A fishing report? The Gorge!
For the past couple of weeks, I've been fishing for pups about half of the days, and grinding out some bigger lake trout on half of the days. Today's trip was moved to tomorrow due to horizontal snow this morning, and continued wind this afternoon. (There has been some fishable periods between squalls all day though[unsure])

The pups have been biting like crazy, literally, on 3-inch tube jigs. Can't keep 'em off. We've only had to fish Linwood Bay and a couple of other big points that go into the channel close to there. The 2-8 pound fish are stacked thick on most main-lake points in 60-90 feet of water, and nearly everywhere in Linwood Bay. They're hitting steadily all morning. This is likely happening lake-wide.

The big fish are getting tougher, but we're scratching out a couple or more on the mornings we target them with larger jigs, specifically trying to keep the pups away. We're still catching a few "accidental" 2-5 pounders fishing for the big ones, but nothing like when we fish the small tubes. Be prepared to fish all morning for a half-dozen or so hits from the bigger fish. Not fast, but it is still working if you can grind it out and remain focused until your opportunity comes. Then, of course, you must capitalize (set the hook in time!) on your sporadic opportunity. Blue Cliff Bend remains the hot spot, but Linwood Bay wouldn't be a bad choice either.[Wink] If you don't see fish in there, your sonar is broken.

And would somebody please stop this "election" nonsense? Go fishing for cryin' out loud!

A few pics. from last week attached:

[inline 9-17-06-2.jpg]

[inline 9-17-07-1.jpg]

[inline 9-21-07-1.jpg]

Now stop the voting crap and go fishing!![Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, Jim! Glad it's holding up for you all. I need to get up there one more time, I guess!
[signature]
Horizontal snow, I remember that stuff last May driven in. I wish I could get back up there but I have too much going on right. pregnet daughter, she's having some problems with it, she's been in the hospital for the last week. throwing up all the time, I told her didn't you remember your first, you did the same thing. hmmmm.
later chuck
[signature]
wish i could come up thats for sure. did spend a few days up at jackson res last week. but it was a retreat not a fishing trip. i knew i still should have packed a pole be caulse i had 1 open window when i could have fished. and no pole. man i never seen so many drift boats in my life. holly cow! must be good? elk are rutting every where up there in grand teton. thanx for putting up something good to read. ken. o and chuck what the heck. pregnant??? call me.
[signature]
Tarponjim thanks for the report on the gorge. It looks like there are plenty of fish starting to stage up. One of these days I'll get there to catch some. Voting? What voting? I though that didn't come until the first Tuesday in November! Ha! Ha! I think I'll go take your advice and do some fishing.

If you know, Talk about it, IF NOT: SHUT UP; [shocked]
[signature]
Jim,

Just curious, do you keep any of the smaller "pups"? I know you release the larger trophy fish but was curious about the smaller fish.
[signature]
Good job on the fish, and some nice ones as well! Do you know Bruce and Marjorie Parker conquest expeditions?
[signature]
I let my customers keep up to 6 pups (under 26 inches) per day if they wish. I only have a few trips a year when people want to keep any of them, bot don't have any problem with it. I also keep one once in a while for my wife, who likes to eat them. Personally, I think its some of the worst fish on the planet, and I like fish!
[signature]
Orvis: I do know who Bruce is.
[signature]