Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toon & Trolling Motor Question
With the Outcast Streamer XL, the built in motor mount is a couple feet behind where the seat is.

Now if I added a trolling motor, like the Minn kota Endura 30, will I be able to reach comfortably behind to use the handle? Even if it's extended? It doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to be reaching behind to use the handle of the trolling motor for long periods of time, like getting to one spot to another.

Any of you guys have experience w/ the Bass Pro Shops deep cycle battery? They have one that is 24 lbs:

[url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=58337&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO&langId=-1&storeId=10151&searchOption=products&hvarSearchString=21-525-044-01&catalogId=10001&cmCat=SEARCHRESULTS&ddkey=SearchResults"]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=58337&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO&langId=-1&storeId=10151&searchOption=products&hvarSearchString=21-525-044-01&catalogId=10001&cmCat=SEARCHRESULTS&ddkey=SearchResults[/url]
[signature]
Hey Ghostrider!

That trolling motor may be a little bit uncomforable as you suspected. It will also be a little light on the thrust too.

To top it all off, the 24lb battery may not have enought ummmph to it in order to get you around as much as you think that it might. When the battery is light, it is the first sign of lower storage capacity. The results in less time in service.

I don't mean to sound negative about this. Most anglers expect that by puting any motor on a tube that it will be a substitute for a motor boat. They are slightly slower.

The trolling motor on a toon will help you in the wind or when you are just too tired to row any more.

More input from others will follow.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]For ease of use, and accessibility, when I changed the head of my motor around, I drilled new holes to offset the handle a few degrees. Now I can reach it just by raising my arm over my shoulder.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The 24 lb. battery sounds great, but I would seriously question how long a battery that small would support a trolling motor. They don't show the specifications on the batteries, but sure worth looking into. I've been running deep cycle batteries from Auto Zone for several years, using them in my boat, motorhome, and kick boats, and have had impressive results, and the price is right.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I use a 28lb thrust and I turned the head around and I think my batt is a group 27 deep cycle marine wieghs about 50 lbs don't have a problem reaching around. It pulls you backwards when youturn the head around and I only use mine on the windy. and when not in use I just use my fins
[signature]
....[Smile] as much as I like the mod you did with the motor I am much more impressed with the direct tv dish you have mounted as well.. just dont see the plazma tv.. is it hidden somewhere.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If your main desire in looking at that particular battery is to reduce weight you also make the following tradeoffs.

First ... lower weight = greater convenience + better handling

But
Lower weight = lower capacity = shorter runtime

Smaller size = reduced ability to handle load while remaining at full voltage = reduced top speed from the motor

Smaller size = reduced charging current = slower recharges

Now, subject to the top speed angle (depends on the motor power demands), most of the other diSadvantages can be eliminated by having a second smaller battery, to swop in if/when the first smaller battery runs down. Having the 2nd battery to swop to will also cure the temptation to "use it a few minutes more even though it is low" which damages a bettery permanently.
In this case you pop back for a break, swop cells, come back out with the fresh cell.

So maybe two small batteries is a viable alternative to one bigger battery, esp if the motor is average, rather than high thrust design.
You save weight, the craft handles lighter and better. But you will probably spend the same or slightly more to achieve this advantage, (2 x small cells) as opposed to a single, bigger, heavier cell.
[signature]
As for the comfort issue I can not attest to this first hand but I fish quiet a bit with Luke72 and he says it is not bad. You can always get a swivel on your chair and that will let you turn easier.
[signature]
Just trying to keep up with TN2
[signature]
I am waiting for you to catch up. I finally stopped at the newer 101" Plasma. I barely have enough solar panels to keep up with the power that thing draws. That forced me to drop down to the 3000watt microwave![mad] I hate cut backs![pirate]
[signature]
.... and ya'll think Im crazy.... I think these two have me beat hands down... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Now you see why I'm trying to talk you into the bigger tube. You are going to need room for all the extra stuff.[cool]
[signature]
..lol at this rate I may as well put the money into the biggest toon I can handle.. much more room for the .. uuhhhmmmmmmm "extras" .. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Now you are thinking.[Wink].......That is not the sexy Wink either.[Tongue]
[signature]
...now you knew at some point or the other I had to catch on... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
After our previous conversation, I know that you don't like the Wink thing form certain people.

I'm used to that. Even the wife slaps me if I Wink the wrong way becuase she thinks that it was that "Trying to be sexy" style of Wink.

I just like to let people know that the [Wink] on this board is my "Do you catch my drift" or "Do you know what I mean"? type of Wink.
[signature]
.... my point exactly.. I am getting to the point where I am more able to tell the difference easier.. plus.. you know me.. I say what Im thinking and if thought the icon odd I would of commented on it... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'll finish my modifications this winter and you'll want the plans
[signature]
Tn2 was supposed to send me one for chrismas last year but he kept it for himself.
[signature]
"[size 1]I'll finish my modifications this winter and you'll want the plans"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Perhaps we could just exchange plans. How are you on reading electrical schematics as well as irrigations layout plans?[Wink][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You guys sure know how to hijack a thread.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Go get a room.[/#0000ff]
[signature]