Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hooks, Hooks & more Hooks
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Since I haven't been tying too long I only have an assortment of 20 hooks. One would think that would cover the bases. However, every time I look to tie a new fly the specs call for a hook that I don't have. For you long time tryers do you have all the hooks that Tiemco or Daiichi makes? Well that is an over statement but how many varieties do you have available?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Fake it, my son.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Substitute!!! If you look at all the hooks that are available, you will see many, many of them are nearly duplicates. The differences are so small that it doesn't justify buying every hook available in the catalogs.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It doesn't hurt to tie a fly that calls for a certain hook on one that is nearly the same.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There are components of the fly that are more important than having the exact hook called for in the pattern.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[black][size 3]I got to thinking about it the other day, and if you haven't found the attached web site, you may want to review it. If you look around, you will find pictorial instructions for many good flies.[/size][/black]
[size 3][url "http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/"]http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/[/url][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey Dad that is what I have been doing. BTW I just took a look and notice that I have shortcuts to over two dozen fly tying sites including Charlies box. But thanks for the feed back as I was just curious as to what everyone else was doing.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]If you want to test your tying skills and patience, check out Charlie's version of Kelly Gallup's "sex dungeon". [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]When a fly gets that complicated, I say go out and buy 'um.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]In Charlie's tutorial on that fly, I think there is about 50 different steps. That baby will really separate the men from the boys. However, I understand that it's a real killer in it's various colors.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]