Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingfish Action Continues
[font "Times New Roman"][Image: Herb_and_John_Davis.JPG]Today, I had the Davis family from Indiana with me offshore fishing for Kingfish. We left out of Port Canaveral at 7:00AM on a clear and calm sunny morning. I made a quick run down the beach in search of live bait, but it was not to be found. We had a dozen ribbon fish and dead sardines in the cooler for bait, not wanting to waste any more time looking for livies. We headed out SE from the beach on a 125degree heading for South Pelican flats,24 miles away.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]The seas were calm, but the water temperature was lower then it had been before our last cold front blew in early Sunday morning. The water had been around 72-73 degrees, but was now 65f.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]When we arrived at our destination, the water temp was up to 69f, warm enough for Kingfish and maybe a Cobia or 2 if they were around. There were large schools of bait nearby, and we started trolling around them. It didn’t take long before the downrigger and the shot gun line went off at the same time yielding a pair of 10-12lb Kingfish. But then the bite went cold and we moved further south to where the rest of the charter fleet was, as I was getting reports that the kingfish bite was going off down there. It was a beautiful day offshore and the seas were almost flat. After landing a few more fish, I decided to try one more location 5 miles south of where we were. We landed 2 more fish, releasing one to grow a little more and then headed in towards the beach with our limit of Kingfish to look for Cobia. There were some sightings of Cobia over the radio, so I thought we would have a look see. Well, after we arrived close to the beach, I saw a turtle holding 2 fish swimming around it. We motored up close enough to get a cast and hooked up on the second shot. We landed both of the fish, but they were both shorts, released to fight another day, and to grow up as well. The water temp on the beach was 68.5f, down from last weeks 73f. The next couple of days are supposed to have south winds, so hopefully the water will warm up a bit more. Till next report, C Ya, Capt Bob[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]http://www.cruisebrevard.com/fishreports/images/15/Herb_and_John_Davis.JPG[/font]
[signature]