Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogden River 30 Sep 07
Haven't fly fished the streams around here for trout very much, have mostly fly fished for Wipers and Tiger Musky.

That said, I went to the Ogden River, near Dinasaur Park 10am - 1 pm. This is a classic fish, with dinasaurs roaring in the background, visions of Jurassic Park...

I used bronze bead head with a green skud as the dropper. The speed of the hits, and my not getting a good hook set, caused about 20 misses. Caught 10 browns in the 9-13" category, with one 3" planter. Of course, the biggest of the day, hit hard, I did not see, but I know where he lives.

Water was very low and clear. Seemed that all patches of shade held fish.
[signature]
Nice. that is a fun section of river. red serendipity works well for a dropper there.
[signature]
Nice report! That's the best success I have heard of on that stretch in a long time. I stopped by the river in the canyon yesterday, and browns were slammin bugs off the top in mid afternoon. I wasn't fishing though... [Sad]
[signature]
I fished the canyon on Wed after work.
The same setup as D. park, bead head and green skud, caught 5 ("12-14") and lost 5, getting better on the hook set.
[signature]
I'm not sure why you guys are using nymphs this time of year. A elk hair caddis and a dropper will be killing them right now.
[signature]
Thanks, I am just starting out here....
Will try the elk hair with dropper..
any other tips would be helpful.
[signature]
Yeah, I fished the Ogden often when I was in Syracuse.

Don't overlook the water you normally wouldn't fish. Small breaks, seams, pockets, and rough water all hold fish! Fish them. Don't get stuck on the regular holes.

Keep a low profile also, those fish can spook easy.
[signature]
Fished the Ogden Canyon again today. Caught 6 in 30 min. on the bead head and green skud. Switched to the caddis with dropper, and got nothing. Have delivery problems with the dry fly still.

Tried just the caddis, got it to float, by no hits.
[signature]