Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use a whip finisher
In another thread Dryrod posted a link to a website. On that website it had a page showing how to use a Materelli Whip finish tool.

For someone new to fly tying this page might be of use.

[url "http://www.eflytyer.com/tools/mat_whip.html"]http://www.eflytyer.com/tools/mat_whip.html[/url]
[signature]
...you guys are a bunch of mind readers.. I was just looking back on line at a video showing how to use a whip finishing tool.. I some beginner problems with it yesterday so figured Id go back and look at the video again...

.. thanks for that link.. it definite reenforces what I read last night and saw on that video today....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I do believe that Dryrod did post a video on that after I had asked the question several months ago.

I still do it much easier and quicker by hand for the Saltwater Flies that I tie.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#005028]You are correct mi amigo. Initially I had trouble working the whipping tool until I discovered that you leave your thumb on the U frame while loading the thread then pull it back off from the frame to start the whipping. Now I find it a real simple procedure.[/#005028]
[signature]
...I found another different one on youtube.. it looks to me like I was keeping the bobbin at the wrong angle.. I hope to get more practice this weekend... I am thinking some wb's and bi polar worms need to be created.. or at least attempt to be created....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]It has been my experience that the major mistake made by people learning to use the whip finishing tool, is that after they hook the tying thread, they don't hold the thread parallel to the hook shank.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I recently taught my grandson to use the tool, and after he understood the necessity of holding the thread parallel to the hook shank, he was whip finishing like a demon.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
.... I agree with you whole heartedly.. from watching the videos I finally realized that I do not hold it correctly.. but like they say.. practice makes perfect.. or at least easier to do.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there Saberfish - didn't realize it before but I wasn't holding the whipping tool quite parallel to the shank. Since I read your comment about doing same whipping is now a breeze. Thanks for the tip.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]