Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to surf fishing...help!
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have been a reader for quite a while and enjoy this forum, but I registered today because I have some questions with surf fishing.

I just started getting into it recently. I live in Southern Maryland and have access to surf fishing on the Potomac River and on the Chesapeake Bay. I'm trying to learn as much as I can in order to enjoy it as much as possible and catch some fish, but the problem is, I'm still not sure on the bait to use or the even what type of rig to use.

I've been reading about artificial bait, such as the artificial bloodworms. I've tried them & nothing. I've tried the real bloodworms and often just get them sucked off the hooks. I've tried other things too. Its like nothing is working for me. I either get snagged on the bottom (constantly) or get my bait sucked off (constantly).

I was just hoping somebody can put me in the right direction before I waste any more time & money on stuff that doesn't work. This looks like something I'd really enjoy, as an alternative to bass fishing.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Welcome aboard and thanks for the question.

Since you have been casting out, I assume that you have the right equipment already. 7 or 8 foot pole is fine with a 9 to 13 foot being preferred for distance.

Light line is the key. Either on a baitcaster reel, conventional reel or even a spinning reel.

12 to 15lb test tied with a dropper loop. 3 to 4oz pyramid sinker on the bottom and a #6 hook on the dropper loop. Tie off the dropper loop at 18 to 24 inches from the weight for best results in the surf.

Small pieces of cut squid or even Sand Crabs would work better for bait. They stay on the hook better and also attract the fish.[cool]
[signature]
I got a 10' surf rod with 25 lb. test, because the guy at the store recommended the 25 lb. line.

But I will be heading back to the store & picking up the things you recommended & hopefully will be victorious on my trip on friday evening.

thank you!
[signature]
The 25lb test should do you some good for any of the local Fluke and Flounder. Good luck and please feel free to share a fishing report when you are done.[cool]
[signature]
So, friday night I picked up another surf rod, to use along with my 10' rod, but I got an 8' rod, to be used for surf fishing, as well as catfishing.... And I picked up some components to make various rigs to try...

Friday night at on the bay wasn't a full bust. I got my first fish via surf fishing, but it was a small white perch. Didn't seem like many people were catching anything anyway.

So yesterday, I went out around 10 AM and was a total success. I got my first croaker and my first striped bass from the surf. It was awesome.

I'm using a striped bass rig, that has a float by the hook to keep it from dragging the bottom and a 3 oz. weight. Works great and I haven't had any problems with snags.

So, once again, I appreciate all the help. Surf fishing is definitely something I like to do and now that I've found various rigs that work for me, as well as bait that I like to use now, I'm extremely happy with the results and can't wait to get out there again next weekend!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourself.

You will notice as the moonlight gets small or approaching "New Moon" phase, the fishing is generally better in the day and during the High tide.

As we switch over to the Full Moon phase, the fishing will be just as good if not better at night time.[cool]
[signature]