Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Bounce 10-2-07
[cool] [black][size 1][size 2][blue]We had originally planned to hit Lindon on Wednesday morning. The forecast for stout breezes on Wednesday made us decide to try it on Tuesday afternoon. There were only supposed to be light SW breezes. And, sure enough, when we arrived about 1 PM, there was a bumpy chop blowing into Lindon from the SW. The water was also pretty murky from all of the recent high winds.

We decided to continue on to Lincoln Beach, reasoning that at least the breeze would be "offshore" and would not have time to build any bumpy ripples. WRONG!!! It was almost calm when we got to Lincoln Beach, just before 2. But, even before we got launched there was a building "breeze" from the NE...the direction we had just come from. I sometimes think there is a wind generator in the middle of Utah Lake and that it blows outward in all directions. No matter where we go to fish, there seems to be onshore wind.

We were on the water by 2:30. Water was murky at Lincoln Beach too, but not quite as bad as Lindon. Water temp was just over 57. Getting better for walleyes but slowing down the kittyfish.

I have never done well fishing Lincoln Beach in a north wind. For some reason, it slows down the fishing but it also makes it difficult to stay in a "zone". It is almost impossible to work baits or lures like I prefer to fish them with the wind blowing me from north to south. It is always best when calm or with a slight south breeze. I hate doing the "Lincoln Beach Bounce".

Yesterday there were quite a few fish on our sonar screens but they were mostly suspended and definitely in a neutral or negative mode. I threw all kinds of spinners, hardbaits and plastics...and fished them at all depths and varying speeds. I got a few taps and a few harder whacks, but brought in only a few bitty whities. I did lose one nice walleye, after the wind died about 6 PM.

Most of our fish came on bait. TubeBabe caught twin 23 inch channel cats...one 4.6 pounds and the other 5.1 pounds. She caught the first one (on carp meat) not long after we got started and we thought it was going to be a good day. But, it was a couple of hours before she caught her second one (on minnows). And she finally caught a 9" whitie just before we got off the water about 7.

I had several pop and drop on minnows...with a couple of them being chopped in half without hookups. But, it was only after the wind finally died...about an hour before sunset...that I started getting serious action. I lost one large cat about halfway to the tube. Then, I also lost a fat and healthy walleye about 10 feet from the tube...hooked on a purple and chartreuse jig. It performed the old walleye open-mouthed headshake at the surface and gave me back my jig.

I set the hook again on a fish that kept picking up and dropping the minnow, hoping for a walleye. Nope. Mudder. Small but very chunky. They have been eating well.

Finally, the line popped loose from the clip and began streaming from my reel with some speed and power. BENDO. The cat did not fight as hard in the cooling water as they do in warmer summer temps, but it stretched my string and zinged some line of the drag a couple of times. Turned out to be a 25" fat mama that weighed just over 7 pounds.

We kept our three chunky kitties for the smoker. In spite of the PCB advisory, we believe that our methods of completely de-fatting the cats, extended brining and long smoking renders them much safer for consumption. Been enjoying them for years and still do not glow in the dark or have any extra appendages.

BFT member Ocean was casting lures from the bank when we came back in. He had only caught one white bass. Good to see you again Cesar.

Only a couple of boats on the lake. One seemed to be just checking out the motor and went back in after making a few stops, starts and speed runs. Also appeared to be some DWR netting efforts going on over in front of Benjamin Slough. But, the midweek trip and cooler waters seemed to help reduce the power squadron.
[/blue][/size]
[/size][/black] [size 1]Attachments:[/size] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=29981;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] LINCOLN BEACH BOUNCE.jpg [/#333366][/url](191 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=29982;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] WHITIES LIKE PINKIES.jpg [/#333366][/url](155 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=29983;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] CHUNKY LI'L MUDDER.jpg [/#333366][/url](190 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=29984;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] 7# PCB CONTAINER.jpg [/#333366][/url](138 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=29985;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] TB'S TWIN 23 INCHERS.jpg [/#333366][/url](183 KB) [/size][/black]
[signature]
Mmmmm....PCB's! Keeps the bad belly bugs at bay!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's not that I am overly optimistic...or fatalistic. I am just not overly freaked out by the PCB's at this point. My own original research has failed to turn up any evidence of long term nasty effects from eating fish thus contaminated...anywhere in the USA...including some areas with a lot worse levels. I am not inviting disaster, but I am not ready to quit fishing for cats...or keeping the occasional batch for the fryer or smoker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reminds me of an old joke about a drunk in a bar. A bunch of Salvation Army folks came stomping into the bar and one old hatchet-faced woman stopped in front of the drunk. She took out a container of nightcrawlers and dropped one into the man's half consumed drink. the crawler immediately went into violent contortions, then went white and rigid...dead as can be. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Smugly, the old gal confronted the drunk with "There. Do you know what that means?"[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The drunk blinked a couple of times, picked the worm out of his drink and gulped the rest of it down. "Yep. If I keep drinkin' I ain't gonna get worms."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't misunderstand. I do not take pollution lightly. I am Saddened and disgusted by all of the manmade corruption in our nation's waters. But, I am still not ready to run shrieking into the desert...weeping and wailing and gnashing my teeth. I keep buying fishing tackle and spending money on gas to get me to my favorite polluted fishing hole. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Call me wacko, but you can also call me healthy and happy. But, when I finally croak at age 90, please do not list PCB's as the cause of death in my obituary.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You are totally funny but logical in a way. I know some folks who have been eating the fish in Utah lake for a generation with no ill effects. But yeah, calling that channel cat in your hand a PCB container just totally cracks me up! LMAO! Thanks for being proactive in helping to clean up the environment.[Wink]
Nice report. Good to hear about getting a walleye to play. Should be heatin up for them about now, right?

[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Walleyes become more active daytime feeders whenever the daylight hours shorten and water temperatures start dropping in the fall. That can start by the end of August, but gets quickly better after the first cooling rains about mid September of most years. October is widely considered to be a "magic month" among walleye fans. The water temps drop below 60, but are still warm enough to keep the fish active. They slow down a bit when the temps drop below 50, but can still be taken all winter...in open water or through the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some tight-lipped walleye-ites have been scoring a few 'eyes with some regularity, by casting traditional lures in traditional spots. But, they are the die-hards who are not turned off by wind and weather. In fact, they often claim to do better in sloppy conditions. Walleyes are known to feed actively on the windward shores of lakes when the turbid and splashy water blows in their food (minnows) and disorients them in the chop. Dedicated wallie fans grit their teeth, cast into the wind and usually take home some good eatin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have taken some of my biggest wallies ever during the last week of October into the first week or so of December. The fish are feeding to fatten up for the winter, and some of them really pack on the pork. Here's a pic of one I got several years ago while jigging for white bass in American Fork Harbor early in December...on a small silver spoon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10070;]
[signature]
Thanks for the information on the walleye. I was just thinking about walleye fishing this Fall.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Who are you kidding? You think about walleyes all the time. Can't say as I blame you. They are favorites with me too. Let's gang up on a few.[/#0000ff]
[signature]