Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emerging Bugger
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Was watching a video from Netflix entitled Takes on Lakes. Denny Rickards demos a fly called the Emerging Bugger. Tried my hand at it and thought that the fly came out fairly well. Now how come is it that the camera's eye showed stuff that my eyes didn't see? Oh well will need to try again. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Courier New"]Denny Rickards[/font]
[font "Courier New"]Emerging Bugger[/font]
[font "Courier New"]Hook 8 2x[/font]
[font "Courier New"]wt .020 lead wire[/font]
[font "Courier New"]tail burnt orange marabou[/font]
[font "Courier New"]body olive seal & ice dubbing[/font]
[font "Courier New"]rib copper wire[/font]
[font "Courier New"]hackle burnt orange Saddle[/font]
Note: Body is mixed with Ice Dubbing 50/50 and tails have
two strips of Holographic Flashabou over the top. [/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30034;][/center]
[signature]
I bet I could catch Surf Perch with those. That is a neat looking fly.[cool]
[signature]
[#005028][cool]Well thank you kindly. What size hook would you like? I used a TMC 9394 #6 4x. Probably would be better on a 2x. Used Krystal Flash in place of holographic Flashabou.[/#005028]
[signature]
Sweet fly! I guess I won't be tying just peacock buggers anymore
[signature]
[#005028][cool]Hey there Anthonygreer - thanks for dropping in. Don't be a stranger. BTW we both came on board back in 8 of 03.[/#005028]
[signature]
Nice tie there! Can't go wrong with a Denny's pattern
[signature]
Since it is called an emerging bugger does that mean that it is intended to be fished in the surface film?
[signature]
[cool][#005028]Apparently not as it has 12 turns of .020 lead wire and a length of copper wire wrapped over the dubbing. Denny's video shows the fly being stripped in short jerks which causes it to dance below the surface giving the appearance of it about to emerge. [/#005028]
[signature]
...nice looking fly buddy.. one day I will get to that level.. [Smile].. but thanks to some side info from FG I am understanding a little better the order in which things are tied among other things..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I think that one would work in the #4 or #2 hook. The 2x would be good as well.[cool]
[signature]
[#005028][size 1]DR wrote:[/size][/#005028]
[#005028][size 1]Apparently not as it has 12 turns of .020 lead wire and a length of copper wire wrapped over the dubbing. Denny's video shows the fly being stripped in short jerks which causes it to dance below the surface giving the appearance of it about to emerge. [/size][/#005028]

Well, I sure don't read recipes too well do I.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Don't feel bad there Scruffy_Fly I do that all the time. I blame mine on a sign off age. Seeing what I want to see.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Your concern for the "proper" size of hook to tie that fly on, should not be in question.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Like all flies, which are used to imitate some type of insect, should be tied in several sizes.[/size]
[size 3]As you know, even though an insect can be found in many waters, they are not always the same size. Sometimes, even during a heavy hatch, etc. a change of size can make the difference.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It's a good practice to tie up several sizes for your fly box while your at the vise.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]As long as you have a good productive pattern, you can't go wrong with several sizes of the same fly.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]An example of this is my personal "go to" dry fly, the elk hair caddis. I have found it to be very productive in many sizes and shades, both as a hatch match and as an attractor. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]O my Saberfish you must be getting old like Scruffy_Fly and myself. Since TN2 mentioned fishing the salt with that fly my only question was what size hook would he like. For fresh water a #6 or smaller would suit me just fine. Since I have never fished the Emerging Bugger it strictly an assumption on my part. So what new fly have you been tying lately and would you care to share a pic or two?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I've never knowingly fished an emerging bugger either. But being a big Denny R. fan, I'd be willing to try it. Mostly because it's fished like most of his flies.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I haven't been at the vise lately. Every time I run into a pattern on the web that I find appealing, I start laying out materials, and find that I'm short something or another. I really need to get out and get some materials.[/size]
[size 3](I've been promising myself that for some months now)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]But I promise that when I get moving, and start tying, I'll share with you. I did get my grandson tying a few weeks ago, and as long as he finds interest in the old standard wet patterns, I'm cool. The other day, I discovered a chip in the jaws of my vise. Maybe I can justify the rotary that I have been wanting to try.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It's for sure that we don't share enough fly patterns on this site. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I sure hear you on lack of Vise Time. We are all guilty of that from time to time.

As colder weather approaches and certain species are going into their reproductive behavior in So. Cal, I will surely be spending more time on the vise. Camera in hand.

I plan on numerous recipe/photo submittals for the Saltwater Fly section.

You will see an example of what the Coastal Critters are fancying and how some of the patterns and styles are similar to what some of our bigger Freshwater Critters also go after.

The entomology and biology of the Big Salty has some of it's own unique twists.[cool]
[signature]
Denny is very strong on the 20 wraps of .20 lead. He has done a lot of study on this and 19 is not enough and 21 too much.
He is also the master of INTERMEDIATE line. His flies do work, and work great but they are designed for Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate.
[signature]
[#005028][cool]Well I went with 12 because that is what his instructions said in the video Takes On Lakes. However, instuctions for other flies indicates 20 turns of .020 lead wire. I don't know why he went with 12 on this fly.[/#005028]
[signature]
... when you say 12 or 20 turns of the lead wire is that positioned in the middle of the hook shank .. or does it end up covering up the entire hook shank?? .. just a novice being curious to a fault.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#005028]You would start winding the lead wire at the eye. 12 turns of .020 lead would probably cover about 1/3 of the shank of a #6 4x. How much wire one uses depends upon the recipe.[/#005028]
[signature]