Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck Opener!!
Hunted the refuge today and came away with 7 ducks 1 banded redhead and wet everything.
Today's hunt was not bad I was trying to go for mallards and decided after a couple hours to shoot watever flew by.
The redheads were like mosquitos, could not keep them away.
I was in my favorite spot and did very well. Saw alot of geese flying around and when the snow lifted the birds came alive.

I be out there again on Mon. to try my luck again. I will be alone so if someone wants to tag along send me a pm.
[signature]
At least someone had a good opener, from the sounds of it, a lot of the guys had trouble today. Was there a lot of other hunters at the Refuge today? WH2
[signature]
Nice work Pete. Glad you had a good opener. Too busy to get out with ya this year, but next year the birds will pay!
[signature]
I hunted in a unit that they had just started putting water in, so it had some but not an awful lot of hunters. So, it was about the same number as a normal weekend hunt.

When i drove by unit 3 there was a mass exodus of people going out there. That is probably because as of the first of the week, that was the only unit with water.
[signature]
Hunted again on Mon. there was more water so my motor made it there and back with only minor pushing.

The hunting was above average for a total blue bird day. Came away with my seven ducks before 11:00.

I have come to realize that TV hunting shows have screwed most duck hunters up.

Picture this I hunted without my calls on Mon. [unsure] But I still had more ducks fly in to my spread than the people around me who were calling like a wounded animal.

Hunting shows have B-roll footage of them calling hard and fast. Unless you hunt flooded timber the ducks will see you before they could ever hear you. They have made up their mind long before you can influence them with your screaming. I call very little, mostly quiet quacks to reassure the ducks that all is OK, and most of the time it works better than the constant screaming.

Oh and sky busters suck. If the duck is not within steel shot range 35-40 yards don't shoot. I have seen more people shoot at up to 100 yards this year than ever before.

OK I will breathe now....
[signature]
My opener was all washed up too! rain,rain & more rain, I left my spot by 9am it wasn't worth sitting out in that misery any longer! but I went back out yesterday and got quite a diverse limit: Mallard,Redhead,Pintail,Gadwall,Blue wing and 2 GreenWings not a bad day for a clear and calm day which usually sucks.
[signature]
Early season blue bird days usually are not that bad out at the refuge. With water flowing in every day opening up new places for them to land they usually fly well.

I just hope the weather holds for saturday. My wife wants to head out with me to chase the birds. But she will not want to hunt if it is raining. So I am hoping for cloudy with no rain.
[signature]
Blue wings come through way before the season starts that is a cinnamon hen. There has been alot of them these past two years and I can see how you might mistake them. MURCURY!!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Blue wing or cinnamon hen, kind of a tough call. I always go to the bill when identifying the cinny hen. They have a bill somewhat similar to that of a spoon bill. (broad at the tip).[/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Looks like a cinny hen to me also.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I agree on the cinny hen, I flipped the photo upside down, you can tell by the shape of the head and bill that it has the "screwy spoon bill head and bill relationship".[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Yea I thought it was a cin but wished for a blue so I went with the latter[Smile] I forgot about the mercury warning on them though I already have it sealed with my other duck breasts in the freezer! hopefully alittle won't kill me? can't wait to get out again.
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]I don't think that 1 cinny is going to kill ya! Nice redhead you got there too.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]