Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fish a frog
I am trying to figure out how to fish a frog and I have tried a few things:
*I trow it out over the weeds in the water and let it sit for a couple of seconds, then twich it, let it sit, twich it again, all the way to the bank. When the weeds are all the way to the surface, should I still work it there or should I just bring it in?
Changing the time it sits to longer and shorter but I have not have a bite yet. Could you guys share how you do it?

Thanks
[signature]
Well it all depends on how light or dark the water is, the time of day, and the temperature. I find when its real hot out, fish it real slow. Twitch it and let it sit for like five seconds. When its in the 70s-80s sometimes i just reel it in really really slow just enough to move it, and they nail that sucker. When you do get a hit its going to come as a big surprise, but try and wait for about 2 seconds after the hit and then yank straight back. If you yank to a side the hooks will never set. If you yank too soon or too late the mouse will fly out and most likely hit somebody. Now my favorite colored frog is chartreuse with white and black spots. I bought a 6 pack from the BPS magazine and lost two from pike hits. Black with yellow spots and just plain white. Thats the worst, you don't want a pike to hit your top water. When you get to the edge of the weeds, let it sit, because sometimes bass will stalk it until it gets into the open and then hit it rather than getting a mouthful of weeds. So just always be aware, and keep you eyes on that mouse! I usually get my hits when I stop paying attention for 2 seconds!!
[signature]
This year I freakin hammered the LMB here in Utah on frogs. I like to fish them in shallow weedy waters. The summer months were the best. I would rig them weedless and just burn them in, similar to a buzz bait. Most of your hits will come right near the bank. When they strike, give them slack, feel the bite ,and set the hook.
[signature]
Scartinez, I live in sandy. Where's a good spot to go for lm? I bought some frogs and tried them up in cache valley when I'd head home but haven't got anything yet.
[signature]
There is many ways of fishing a frog and different types of frogs...

Some are light and will float others will sink and can be worked like a jig or worm just under the water, try all the different way till you find one that works for you....

[signature]
Bassrods is right about the frogs.

I also like to use the semi bouyant frogs with a 1/8 or 1/4oz lead in front of it to give it a slight bit more sinking power. You don't want to over doe it since a natural frog is semi bouyant to begin with.[cool]
[signature]
Pelican lake is great with a frog. I'm sure mantua would be good. I've done well on buzzbaits at mantua.
[signature]
Slow down, a snail would fish a frog too quick... also I don't like to look at the dam thing for fear I will pull it away from the fish on the hookset. Let 'em eat it , I've never had a bass spit one out after they nail it. Use braid because it floats and you can yank them monster bass right out of the thick stuff. Good luck!
[signature]
i love to fish floating frogs in weedy situations of course. I'll go slow with a twich wait a second. then twich twich... and do that working my way to a open weed line. I stop it right before the weed line so it is sitting on the weeds... then i burn it across the open area like the frog is racing to get to the other side and i always get attacked. Hope that helps.
[signature]