Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back in the Saddle
Got out yesterday morning for the first time since my life changing even. It felt scary at first but them very peacful.
Orginal plan was to meet a bunch of great Utah FF'ers up at the Berry but, plans changed Friday to heading down south for some Tiger Trout.
Got up at 5 a.m. and a little sprinkling going on. After getting lost and having to wait for Lonnie to come find us, we got on the water around 8:30.
It was comfortable, and even worked up a bit of a sweat.
Out in the bay, I thought I would try deep nymphing a PT. So, in 11' of water I threw out a nine foot leader with the PT attached. BAM! right off the bat, a nice TIGER! Not a recored for the day by no means, but the first one I have caught out of this lake....so KEWL.
[inline "Scofield October07 450 1.jpg"]

Then I switched to the Tan Chub on Depth Charge line and Landed 12 cutts and bows. Helped a fellow FF'er out, gave him one of the Chub patterns that took him from Skunk to 6. Right on Jason, thanks for the pattern.

[inline "Scofield October07 450 3.jpg"]

[inline "Scofield October07 450 4.jpg"]
I missed about just as many as the weather got REAL cold around 11, plus Baxter doing a balancing act on my battery, so I headed in to warm up.

The catch of the day however goes to Ben with this NICE TIGER and I took the boobie prize....who said you can't catch a Crayfish with a fly?! This guy wouldn't let go of my PT!

[inline "Ben's tiger Scofield3-02 450.jpg"]

[inline "Scofield October07 450 5.jpg"]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Joni,[/size][/black]
[size 3]good report, and nice pictures. Looks like a good day at "S".[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There have been a bunch of tigers coming out of there lately. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I suspect that if the ice fishing this year doesn't hurt the population of tigers there, next spring will be good for some large ones.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[black][size 3]Oh BTW, nice mud bug. you had to be on the very bottom to get that one.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Those tigers sure have some nice color when the first come out of the water.

Glad your doing better and had a good day.
[signature]
Nice report! That tiger is awesome... how big did he go??

[cool]
[signature]
congrats FG on the nice looking fish. In that first pic it looks like you tipped it with Powerbait.
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]congrats FG on the nice looking fish. In that first pic it looks like you tipped it with Powerbait.
[/size][/black][/font]

What! shame on you for even thinking that...LOL That is my strike indicator (a styro egg) Funny you said that however, cause I was getting razzed about catching a fish every other cast and the POWER BAIT issue was brought up. I wouldn't even know how to use that stuff anymore. A lot have tried to make a POWER BAIT fly, but I haven't seen one yet.[cool]
[signature]
...hey sis glad to see you got back on the water and in the swing of things.. I had a feeling you might brighten up a bit if you got on the water and it seems I (among others) was correct.. great report and even greater looking fish.. looks to me like you have not lost your touch.. now. that ugly looking thing at the end.. only you would catch something like that..

.. congrats on what looks to of been a great weekend.. cant wait to see your next report..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Nice report there and we are glad to see all is going well.

As far as Powerbait goes, I know that the religious flyfisher would not even consider it use for what it is. On the other hand, since it floats, it too can make a good strike indicator on the line.

You can also make little "Glow Bugs" out of them. Power bait is the fishermans "Play Dough" unless you are making glow bugs. That is when it becomes "Yarn in a Jar"[cool]
[signature]
...hmmmmm I wonder if a little power bait mixed in the body of the flys' material would do any good.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It makes a mess on the fly since it is water soluble.

With all my diversity, don't you think that I haven't given it a try already?? lol.

I even experimented with several different colors and brands just to see if one was better than the other. The Zekes was the winner since it is a little bit more rubbery.

Maybe one day when FG decides to be adventurous enough (since she is back in the Saddle) we could talk here and Mojo into coming to Cali so that we could teach them some of our bad habits or give some important information from our R&D dept.[cool]
[signature]
We have been kicking the idea around more than you know. I didn't know if I have mentioned it, but my father that I am now living with is not my birth father, but my step -father since I was 6yrs old, so in all actuallity, the only DAD I have ever had. Anyway, he has a son and a daughter from his first marrige. My Brother lives up the street from my old house and is a few months older than I am. My step sister lives real close to the John Wayne Airport, sooooo, we are kicking around the idea of taking POP along for a visit with his daughter and we could visit with you guys..... in the works right now.[cool]
[signature]
... well Id have to admit.. but I wont.. [sly]

...it is truely a dream to get FG and mojo and poky all out at the same time.. and I am sure the levels of "corruption" would be even across the board.. in a nice way of course.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
now that would be a great XMAS present...no matter the time of the year.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Wow! That sounds kool. JW airport is only 45 minutes south of where I live.

I think Poky is coming back out in Jan or Feb and TubeDude is coming out with TubeBabe in the latter part of Dec. That would be nice to see a bunch of Red tubes all in formation out here.

You are welcome to come by anytime you wish. Just let me know so I can take time off from fishing to go fishing with you guys.

We could even hit up some Salt action. It is no different than trying to launch at UT Lake in a 5mph wind.[cool]

Come on down![Smile]
[signature]
Certain levels of corruption are required to maintain sanity. As long as it is family in the Fambly reunion[cool]
[signature]
I could not agree more. .. or is it I cant agree more.. or is it I agree more.. never can remember the level of more..[sly]

MacFly
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice report and good pics. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nothing like a bit of on-the-water-therapy for a "brain broom".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope things are smoothing out a bit.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
We've missed your posts. Glad to see you back on the water.

Nice fish and nice pics.

z~
[signature]