Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Pictures 10-11-07
Minniow and Power Bait

22.5 and 20
[signature]
NICE! Way to go...nice pictures also[cool] That's what I'm Talkin' about!
[signature]
Let me ask you a question.
If you are using powerbait and you catch a fish in the slot, and the fish swallows the powerbait, what do you do??????
[signature]
First dont use powerbait and if you do release the fish so it could die!!!! [unsure]
[signature]
They say to cut the line and let the hook rot/rust out of the fishes mouth, but I gotta tell ya I dunno. Even that's no guarantee.
[signature]
Thats an easy one HJB. You sit the fish down and tell it one hell of a funny joke, the fish will spit the hook in laughter (maybe even the powerbait if youre lucky, to re-use)!!!
TS
[signature]
Hooks left in fish???

I have caught fish with hooks and or line coming out the back end and the fish was doing fine, so I fell that if you cut the line and let it go it still has a chance of fighting another day....

No fish that I know of that was put in the freezer ever grows any bigger....[crazy]

[signature]
I to think that fish have a good chance of survival with a hook in them. As long as they are handled carefully and returned with little stress. I have caught numberless trout that have had the hooks coming out of them. And they seem to be just fine. Just my two cents.
[signature]
What are numberless trout ??? Is that a hybrid ???
[signature]
Good topic! Sorry to continue to hijack the thread. I've been told by DWR guys that the best thing is to do is cut the line close to the hook and turn them loose. They always follow that up by saying "the hook will rust out in 3 to 5 days".

I too have caught several fish with hooks still in them and line hanging out their mouth or bum. From all the green slime build up on the old line it sure appears that it has already been longer than 3 to 5 days.

Do they really rust out that fast??? I'm skeptical... Anyone?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is what some of us refer to as ANN...another nice notion. The lowest quality bronze hooks may eventually dissolve, if they are in the stomach of the fish. But, more often the fish grows tissue around them. Stainless hooks will outlast the natural lives of the fish in many cases, especially if they are lodged in the throat and do not come in contact with the corrosive stomach digestive juices.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like others have expressed, I have caught more than a few fish with line trailing out of the "nether regions". And, in some cases, the line looked like it had been there for a L-0-0-0-N-N-N-G-G-G-G-G time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the flip side, I have caught fish on bait that were hooked deeply, and cut off the line before putting them into my fish basket. Later, when taking the fish out, I have seen the bait and hook at the bottom of the basket...regurgitated by the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If one is using bait, circle hooks or single barbless hooks are going to be easier to remove than trebles with aggressive barbs. But, as Bassrods points out, any fish released...even with a hook in its innards...has a better shot at survival than one in the freezer.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I agree with cutting the line. You are at least giving the fish a chance. I think I agree with Bassrods for once. Nice post.

I caught a nice cutt at strawberry the other day that had a wad of powerbait in it's throat. The hook looked like it was about rusted out. I didn't want to pull it the rest of the way out though. It's a first for me.

I'm a flyfishing fool, so I usually don't deal with this, but this summer I played "guide" to some relatives, and we were having a blast throwing spinners. I was amazed at the damage these things did to the fish. I guess I'm out of the loop when it comes to that. I promptly de-barbed all of the hooks and it did not effect the amount of fish we caught.

Barbed treble hooks are bad news if you are fishing bait and plan to release fish (hint hint... anyone who bait fishes at Strawberry).

*****I, in no way am bashing bait fishing. Just to be clear*******
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I fish a lot with spinners, but almost never with treble hooks. I make most of my own spinners and usually rig them with single hooks. I may miss a few more strikes on single hooks, but they hold fish better and cause far less damage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Also, I would think that the hooks you are using are much better quality than the junk that comes on most lures and spinners these days.

If I fished spinners etc, I'd swap out the hooks first thing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]These days I am using a lot of the Matzuo sickle hooks, both for jigs and spinners. They are light wire and very sharp. Also, they naturally have a very small barb that does very little damage to the fish and are easily removed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attached are pics of some of my spinner goodies. I also custom paint a lot of different colors and sizes of spinner blades.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I don't know how fast a hook will dissolve in a fish but I've caught three fish with a fly hanging out the rear of the fish. The line hadn't passed all the way through yet so the fly was still trailing behind the fish. Two of the fish I kept and the third I just clipped the fly off and figured if it could pass a fly it would pass the rest of the line.
[signature]
Nice looking stuff. I'm truely impressed.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. I have some pretty wild stuff I make for walleyes and other warm water species. I paint spinner blades with all kinds of paints and glitters. Actually catch a fish or two on them too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We've had several jig making parties, and are thinking about having one on "Working with wire". Once you know the simple secrets of making good loops and forming wire you can make a whole bunch of stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Enough hijacking here. Sorry.[/#0000ff]
[signature]