Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike questions
I live and fish for tiger musky in Utah and was wondering what types of lures are your favorites for pike and ski's up your way?
I use a variety of topwater like buzzbaits, zara spooks and wood choppers. My go-to rapala type bait is a j-13 brown trout rapala or a firetiger pattern. Let's hear your input.[cool]
[signature]
As you know, pike are generally quite aggressive. They'll go after just about anything. I've seen them caught on a waxworm before! My very first one was on a huge, juicy, nightcrawler.

As far as lures go, I'm a sucker for in-line spinners. I also like to use swimbaits. Gotta love the natural swimming action of these soft plastics. Size hasn't really been a factor for me since I rarely made it out to where I could catch the lunkers from shore.
[signature]
I have fished a few swimbaits down this way but i guess you just gotta have a nack for them. Never had a hit on anything like them. I also have seen tigers take crappie jigs and nightcrawlers. Targets of oppertunity. I ahve witnessed tiger pushing sticks and debris around with their snouts. Very interesting behavior.
[signature]
Oh yeah, one other of my favorite baits for them is the Flub Dub. It's a hard-bodied crankbait with a spinner blade coming out the bottom of it near the front. First cast with one of those I had a hit.
[signature]
got any pics?
[signature]
Pics of what? The fish? Or the lures?
[signature]
lures[Wink]
[signature]
Here's the Flub Dub from Gapen Lures

[Image: darter.gif]

And of course, we all should be familiar with the Mimic Minnow. The "Silver Shiner" and the "Gold Shiner" being my favorites to use here.

[Image: MimicMinnowShadPalette.gif]
[signature]
Wow! The flub is very interesting! Never seen anything even close to that. The m. minnows i have seen in magazines but never used one. Thanks for the pics.[cool]
[signature]
That reminds me. I need to get my soft plastics bag together. I have lots of the Mimic Minnow bodies that I want to use while fishing today. See if I can get the trout to bite it. Woohoo! I'm sure I'll get a few bass with them.
[signature]
Good luck to ya. [Smile]
[signature]
Lunker,

My favorite lure for both walleyes and pike up here is a #5 firetiger deep diving rapala. I've caught more on that specific lure than the rest combined. I don't target pike alot, but firetiger patterns seem to get them by accident. Also daredevils work pretty well but I don't know if they would for skis.
[signature]
A good friend trolls the jack of diamnds ALL the time and does very very good for big ski's.The d.devils are like 7" long though. I have never done good on them but i never troll either.
[signature]